BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Sergeant S.L. Phillips, #265442, Welsh Regiment, WW1.  (Read 5828 times)

Offline Jerry BB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Sergeant S.L. Phillips, #265442, Welsh Regiment, WW1.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »
A great family group you have Tom E.  As you mention, the TF medal is a good one to have.  I wonder why he was not called up earlier and did not get the 1914 Mons star.  Perhaps he was an instructor.  When my internet works properly I will try a search for more info on him as it should have his Bn number on Ancestry and you might get some info from this website http://cymru1914.org/en/home
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 10:40:40 PM »
  A wonderful group Ian, you really should add his story to our family members in service thread!  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 11:01:06 PM »
A great family group you have Tom E.  As you mention, the TF medal is a good one to have.  I wonder why he was not called up earlier and did not get the 1914 Mons star.  Perhaps he was an instructor.  When my internet works properly I will try a search for more info on him as it should have his Bn number on Ancestry and you might get some info from this website http://cymru1914.org/en/home

Thanks Jerry. My grandad sadly passed away when I was just 5 years old in 1958. He survived the war but, as a coal-miner, he succumbed to the dreaded "dust"...ie pneumoconiosis.  Thus, I barely knew him. The medals I found when we cleared out my late father's possessions. He'd had them in a box in a drawer for many years and I knew nothing about them! Sadly, most of that branch of my family have long since passed away so there really is no-one to ask about my grandad. I know it's an incomplete set, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Mons Star was maybe lost or separated over the years?  Alas, I don't have any photographs either, though I have scoured the family archives. I did get some very basic "roster" type info on him some years ago, but that's about it really. I'm a collector rather than a "researcher" so any advice on how to find out more about him would be most welcome. Thanks!

Ian
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jerry BB

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 09:56:44 AM »
Here you are Ian, his medal index card which shows he was not entitled to the 1914 star, so it is not missing, his war and Victory medal roll which shows the units he served with, 6th Welsh, 5th Welsh and then the combined 4/5th Welsh which means he served in Egypt from sometime after December 1915 to wars end.  Also his TF medal roll.

Jerry
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline sandgroper

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »
These are terrific medals made even better because they have remained with the family of the man who earned them. Too often they turn up at flea markets or second hand shops which is a real shame. Thanks for posting them here for all of us to appreciate, great stuff mate.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 10:13:31 PM »
Thanks gents...but an especially BIG "Diolch yn fawr!" ( Thank you very much!)  to Jerry for providing an important part of my family's history of which I was hitherto unaware. I'm much obliged to you Jerry!

Ian  ;)
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com