BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Our Model T Ambulance is nearly done!  (Read 117 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Our Model T Ambulance is nearly done!
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:58:13 PM »
  About three years ago my museum purchased a rusty 1917 Ford Model T Touring Car. It had a "free" engine and a great frame with fenders, running boards and hood/cowl. We assembled a team of volunteers and began the process of creating a 1917 ambulance. While there are some out there, most are done on later chassis and with later engines to facilitate electric start and to have a battery and generator. We wanted a true 1917. So after a ton of CAD/CAM work original documents from the Henry Ford Museum as well as other scale examples, we had measurements and a plan. First the engine was pulled and delivered for a complete overhaul by yours truly.
   Then I separated the old touring car body from the frame. It was then picked up by a team of the greatest volunteer/donors a museum has ever known. All of the computer modeling was put to use and they began the work of cleaning the frame and building out the wood portion. All of the canvas was done locally by a lady who is a Model T expert, and then hand stained using a mixture much as the WWI drivers would have. After the engine was overhauled I delivered it and it was installed with a new radiator. There were some business emergencies and sicknesses that caused some delays, but soon she was painted and ready to roll out for engine testing. These pics are from about a month ago. We are in the final stages of "running in" the motor and doing some fine tuning. Then we will add the front straps that hold the canvas roof down, as well as the stretchers and other neat accessories. Thought I would share these pics here.    Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

Re: Our Model T Ambulance is nearly done!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:01:05 PM »
   And the rest!   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 11:04:57 PM »
  Hope you all enjoy this very understated progression. I will never be able to say enough about our volunteer crew on this project, they are amazing! I will add more pics when we get the accessories mounted and the other little bits that need to be done.   Scott

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 06:55:22 AM »
Scott,

A truly remarkable restoration. This is a true museum worthy piece. The many hours that the volunteers and yourself spent on this fine example will pay off ten fold..

Amazing job brother...

Best regards and stay safe

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 09:28:46 PM »
Scott,

A truly remarkable restoration. This is a true museum worthy piece. The many hours that the volunteers and yourself spent on this fine example will pay off ten fold..

Amazing job brother...

Best regards and stay safe

Smitty

Thanks so much Smitty, next up hopefully is a m1917 Machine Gun Cart. We are just waiting on final word as to whether or not we will get it. It is a bit rare as it still has the original MG box and hardware and has been tucked away in a barn for many years without the museum really knowing what it was... So, hopefully they transfer it to us and it sees new life! Here is a pic as it sits now.   Scott

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »
Scott
An absolute and totally amazing restoration!  Good luck with the machine gun cart acquisition.
Paul

Offline ScottG

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 11:07:43 PM »
Scott
An absolute and totally amazing restoration!  Good luck with the machine gun cart acquisition.
Paul

Thank you Paul, hope all is well with you and yours? Stay safe and healthy!   Scott

BannerFans.com