BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Operation Sutton  (Read 735 times)

Offline lewis505

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • "Aterrice y Ataque!"
  • Referrals: 0
      • 82d Airborne Division Museum - Fort Bragg, NC
Operation Sutton
« on: May 22, 2020, 06:27:33 AM »
21 May 1982 Operation Sutton - a British Task Force of Paratroopers and Royal Marines began amphibious landings at San Carlos Water, a small inlet on the northeast side of East Falkland, as part of the larger Operation Corporate, the campaign to seize back control of the Falkland Islands from Argentine Forces who had invaded on 02 April 1982.  Around 4,000 British troops went ashore at Port San Carlos, San Carlos and Ajax Bay on East Falkland, successfully establishing a beachhead.  HMS Ardent would be sunk while covering the landings after being attacked by Argentine aircraft at low level. At least 14 Argentine aircraft are shot down.

This is the first war I can remember watching on the news & was absolutely fascinated by it - still wanna be a Para in 2PARA when I grow up!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Landing Craft from HMS Fearless ferrying British Troops ashore in San Carlos; Sea King helicopters also operate from her flight deck to haul supplies and personnel to the landing beaches 21 May 1982.

Men of 3rd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment [3PARA] disembark from a landing craft during the landings at San Carlos.

After landing at San Carlos, a heavily-laden paratrooper of 2nd Battalion, the Parachute Regiment [2PARA] heads south for Sussex Mountain on 21 May 1982.

21 May 1982, HMS Ardent was struck by no less than nine bombs, three of which exploded; the first two blew up in the hangar, destroying the Westland Lynx helicopter; the third smashed the aft Auxiliary Machinery Room; 20 minutes later three Argentinian Skyhawks attack jets scored two more hits on the ship's port stern; fires would spread out of control her crew abandoned ship with the loss of 22 sailors.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 06:32:01 AM by lewis505 »
CHRIS LEWIS
Fort Benning, GA.
lewis2505@yahoo.com

*always looking for items related to:
82d ABN DIV (any era) // 505th PIR // 551st PIB
50th Infantry Regiment // 36th Infantry Regiment

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
Re: Operation Sutton
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:07:18 AM »
Excellent write-up, Chris. Being in the US, I don't see or read much as it relates to more modern British military operations, like those from the Falkland Wars. Wonder if anyone on here has items related to a vet who served during this operation. 
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

BannerFans.com