BannerFans.com

Author Topic: 1/2 pound block TNT  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Skyline Drive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
1/2 pound block TNT
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:12:12 AM »
A few days ago I got a full, unopened, crate of 1/2 pound blocks of TNT. Yesterday I finally found the time to do some work on it. It took me more then half an hour to take off the lid. The nails were rusted and the wood was extremely frail. They obviously used the worst quality of wood they could find to make these crates, as the crates were meant to be used only once, this makes perfect sense! Anyhow, my crate is in a bad shape and the woodworms had feasted on it. So even taking all the care in the world I did not manage to open the lid without any leaving traces, so now the wood is heavily dented in some places.

After having opened the crate I took out all the TNT blocks and cleaned the wooden crate with some clear water. After it had dried I applied chemical product that is supposed to kill off the woodworm and prevent a new infestation.

While the crate could dry out, I opened the TNT blocks at the base, by cutting the cardboard container open with a cutter, took out the explosive, and glued the cardboard container shut again.

At the end I applied linseed oil mixed with turpentine to the crate, and repacked the empty TNT blocks.

When I was finished I noticed that I had forgotten to take pictures of the crate  before i started working on it! So no "Before and After" pics!

Oh, and don't worry, the TNT was picked up by our Army's EOD service this morning.

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
Re: 1/2 pound block TNT
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 08:18:44 AM »
It's scary just looking at it! I would not have had the guts to open the crate?  :-[
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline Skyline Drive

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
You need a combination of pressure and heat to have an explosive reaction of TNT. The GI's used it to light fires or heat their rations and water for a cup of coffee. Even when it starts decomposing you don't have any unstable byproducts. The only precaution you need to take is wear a respirator and work outdoors, the fumes are lightly toxic, you can get a bad case of diarrhea for a few days and a sore throat and nose
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:40:27 AM by Skyline Drive »

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
Thanks.....i'd rather play with my C-4!  8)
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 05:06:06 PM »
Any way pray tell did you acquire a case of TNT?  And how did you get the Army to take the stuff from you.  This is a very interesting story.

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »
Any way pray tell did you acquire a case of TNT?  And how did you get the Army to take the stuff from you.  This is a very interesting story.

He dosen't live in the U.S.
THE ALLIED MILITARIA FORUM...... "The freedom forum"!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline Skyline Drive

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:36:05 PM »

I live on the former "Battle of the Bulge" battlefield. After the war there was so much "stuff" lying around, you just can't imagine how it must have been. Everybody picked up what ever he needed or thought he might need! People new about the dangers and they new about the risks related to the different items! The only problem was with the kids and young adolescents, many of them lost their limbs or lives playing with dangerous UXOs. So nearly everybody had a few small arms and equipment at home. During the years much was taken up by collectors or museums, people got older and wanted to get rid of the stuff and just called the police to come and take the guns away. But still today you find quite a lot of small arms hidden away on attics or in barns, not as much as thirty years ago, but there is still some stuff left! The EOD department of our army is very proficient when it comes to WWII UXO's because they had and have so much work at hand. There are a even a few ammunition they are the only ones who ever got to defuse live specimen, on many UXO's they wrote the book on how to defuse them. This crate with TNT came from an 90 year old Lady living on her farm, 50 years ago all the farmers were still proficient in the use of explosives. When they had to clear woodland they used dynamite to get rid of the tree stumps, if they could afford to buy teh explosives. So be assured that, after the fighting was over, no farmer walked past a crate of TNT without taking it home!

So, still today, these things are perfectly normal for everybody involved.

Offline Dnewsom89

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »

I live on the former "Battle of the Bulge" battlefield. After the war there was so much "stuff" lying around, you just can't imagine how it must have been. Everybody picked up what ever he needed or thought he might need! People new about the dangers and they new about the risks related to the different items! The only problem was with the kids and young adolescents, many of them lost their limbs or lives playing with dangerous UXOs. So nearly everybody had a few small arms and equipment at home. During the years much was taken up by collectors or museums, people got older and wanted to get rid of the stuff and just called the police to come and take the guns away. But still today you find quite a lot of small arms hidden away on attics or in barns, not as much as thirty years ago, but there is still some stuff left! The EOD department of our army is very proficient when it comes to WWII UXO's because they had and have so much work at hand. There are a even a few ammunition they are the only ones who ever got to defuse live specimen, on many UXO's they wrote the book on how to defuse them. This crate with TNT came from an 90 year old Lady living on her farm, 50 years ago all the farmers were still proficient in the use of explosives. When they had to clear woodland they used dynamite to get rid of the tree stumps, if they could afford to buy teh explosives. So be assured that, after the fighting was over, no farmer walked past a crate of TNT without taking it home!

So, still today, these things are perfectly normal for everybody involved.

Skyline,

You wouldn’t happen to have any photos of the actual tnt blocks themselves would you? Before they were disposed of? And if you don’t mind, could you measure the length of the cardboard tube on one of these? I’d appreciate it!

BannerFans.com