photo bannerfans_11430117_zps8b63cb2d.gif

Author Topic: Another local museum clean out project!  (Read 76 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Another local museum clean out project!
« on: October 09, 2018, 11:58:34 PM »
   A couple of weeks ago I was approached by a local museum for assistance. They had a collection preservation impact study done and a recommendation was made that they totally clean out an un-climate controlled third floor storage area. That area which has about 6 rooms is all full of primarily military items. This museum is approaching its 100th year!
   So, I went and surveyed everything about two weeks ago, developed a plan and met again with their staff. Today, myself and another volunteer from my museum began the process of sorting for the final clean out. While much was accomplished, we totally wimped out after about 5 hours of work. It was near 90 degree's today and as I mentioned, the work is on the third floor of a non climate controlled room. So well over 100 degrees up there!
   I thought I would share a few pics of some of what we found. Upon completion of the project we will receive most of this collection. I estimate it will be a few more days of sorting, and then the museum staff will begin the de-accession process for us.
I hope you like what you see, as I do more I will try to get more detailed and better pics.   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

Re: Another local museum clean out project!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:30 AM »
  WWII Navy and Marine uniforms on the far back rack, WWII Army on the closer double rack. There is also a full closet of WWII USAAF and the bottom pic of another WWII Navy closet.   Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:05:05 AM »
  WWII Red Cross and Women's service uniforms. Also a rare WWI contract nurse uniform.   Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 12:06:50 AM »
WWI Navy uniforms.   Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 12:11:33 AM »
  A nice WWI German camo helmet and in another box I pulled out this really nice lightweight police helmet and perhaps one of the most amazing items, an M42 single decal SS helmet with full liner and chinstrap in overall really nice shape!  Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 12:15:20 AM »
  Some US helmets and headgear. With the exception of the Women USMC WWII hats and some WWI items, this area has so far turned out to be a bit mundane... Still many boxes to sort though.  Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »
  Still many boxes of footwear, uniforms, fieldgear to sort. I did find two pair of WWII jump boots as well as many other nice sets of tough to find shoes and boots.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:25:03 AM »
 More uniform racks to include some WWI Army and misc others. Not shown as they were blocked, are two full closets of WWI Army and USMC, a full closet of USAF as well as a wall of female USAF, and 5 more rolling racks to include more WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Cold War etc... We also found several 1870s uniforms and about a dozen Span-Am uniforms. I am excited to say the least!  Thanks for looking, Scott.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »
Scott,

I have to type this and then go to the emergency room.. I just broke my jaw.. While looking at the pictures my jaw dropped to the desk and it broke... :o

All kidding aside. There are some remarkable items there in the few pictures you posted. The SS helmet is great.. I am so glad that you will be the new caretaker of these items..

Well done in assisting with picking these items up.

I'm sure you will be able to preserve these items.. You have a never ending rotation now of uniforms and equipment.. Looking forward to seeing what other treasures you unearth..

Well done Brother..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 10:44:58 PM »
  Thanks Smitty, sorry about the jaw ;)... Too funny! Its a huge collection in a very dark area of the building so hopefully I will get some better pictures in the coming weeks as we get more of the items sorted and organized.
   There is no guarantee as to how much of it we will get, but I think it will be a lot. At a minimum it looks like they are going to give me a decent 08/15 Maxim gun for our collection so that is good!
    Take care and thanks again!  Scott

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »
Scott,

Sorry I'm late to the party, have been away.  As far as this posting goes I'm speech less.  Just stunning.  Good luck hope you are able to acquire some nice items for your museum.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
Scott,

Sorry I'm late to the party, have been away.  As far as this posting goes I'm speech less.  Just stunning.  Good luck hope you are able to acquire some nice items for your museum.

Thanks and glad you are back, I hope all is well.   Scott

BannerFans.com