BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Normandy Canadian Infantry Battledress Insignia - help needed !  (Read 63 times)

Offline D-dayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Normandy Canadian Infantry Battledress Insignia - help needed !
« on: October 08, 2018, 05:33:52 AM »
HI - I am new to the forum and I was recommended to you guys. I am hoping someone might be able to help me with a Normandy project.

I have agreed to help with a couple of WW2 Normandy badged Canadian Battledress's for a display.

The jackets were easy enough to find unbadged and wartime dated - so that bit is already covered.

But the project has now advanced and I am looking for some ORIGINAL insignia to go onto at least two different jackets.  They are to commemorate the men who are buried in the Bretteville sur Laize Cemetery in Normandy.

The problem is I know ZERO about Canadian Battledress insignia and I am finding so many different variations and when I do see them they are often stated on forums to be copies etc.

As a starting point I looked on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website for a list of men who are buried in Bretteville and I can find men who served in the following units:-

R.C.I.C.
Fort Garry Horse, R.C.A.C.
South Alberta Regiment, R.C.A.C.
Royal Regiment of Canada, R.C.I.C.
Sherbrooke Fusiliers Regiment, R.C.A.C.
Royal Winnipeg Rifles, R.C.I.C.
Essex Scottish Regiment, R.C.I.C.
Royal Canadian Army Service Corps
Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada, R.C.I.C.
South Saskatchewan Regiment, R.C.I.C.
Royal Canadian Engineers
Canadian Scottish Regiment, R.C.I.C.
Calgary Highlanders, R.C.I.C.
Royal Hamilton Light Infantry, R.C.I.C.
Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada
Lincoln and Welland Regiment, R.C.I.C.
Canadian Grenadier Guards, R.C.A.C.
Royal Canadian Artillery

I understand this is a big list and many of the shoulder titles may be impossible to find. But I would like to try and correctly badge up at least 2 jackets with original insignia.  Any of the above units would work - but I need to be able to find (and buy) two real sets of each badge to make the jackets accurate. I do not want to buy copies so I also need to know where I could go get originals of each. (even if it is just a link to a website with a good pair of each on sale would be a help). I would rather not buy off Fleabay.

I have a quantity of "CANADA" strips and some ROYAL ARTILLERY (printed titles) which I know are original, as well as rank stripes and officers cloth pips - so they could be used if necessary.  Really it is a case of knowing what is correct for the epaulette, shoulder and division badge combination for any of the above..... and I am really confused as to the little strips which appear on the epaulettes and do people sell them ?

If anyone has any photographs of a shoulder with the correct 1944 badges on a battledress being worn that would be a real help.  With the exception of Canadian Paratroopers I have sadly found very few RELIABLE photos on the Internet and even then, I do not really know what I would be looking for as the photos could be post-war - and badges could be later or even copies.

I have collected militaria for years - but never anything Canadian.. so I am completely at your mercy. Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Gary

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Normandy Canadian Infantry Battledress Insignia - help needed !
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 06:02:17 PM »
Gary,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like an interesting topic to collect. I have a few Canadian patches but I am not familiar with copies or originals so I would not be much assistance to you..

I have some reference books that have some photos of Canadian uniforms so maybe there are some period photos in there that may help with your search..

I will get them out and see what I can find for you

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline D-dayman

• Referrals: 0
Re: Normandy Canadian Infantry Battledress Insignia - help needed !
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 04:59:37 AM »
Hi Smitty

Many thanks for that.  It appears that there are plenty of good printed shoulder titles for sale - but it seems to be a minefield to find the appropriate coloured square etc. that goes beneath it and the strip that goes on the epaulette... I do have some books on the subject of Canadian infantry but the photos are either in Black and White - or they are not distinctive enough to see whats what.

I did buy a big badge collection a couple of years ago and some of them were Canadian. Some were multi-layered sewn ones and I was told a lot of them were post war... Which is partially why I am steering towards printed titles - which I believe were more often used during WWII.

I just want to try and ensure that the combinations are exactly right.

Thanks for your help.

Gary

BannerFans.com