BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Neat Japanese Type 99 with bayonet from Tinian  (Read 241 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Neat Japanese Type 99 with bayonet from Tinian
« on: August 16, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
  We had WWII veteran Glen Burgess of the 20th Air Force in yesterday and he donated this type 99 with two bayonets that he picked up on Tinian. It is a fairly run of the mill Nagoya rifle, but what really made it neat was that Glen saved the sling, the dust cover, its all matched and he even brought the muzzle cover home! I have owned many of these and bought or were given many from veterans, but this is the first time I ever got the muzzle cover from the vet. Sadly, he didn't keep the bayonets in good shape... Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline 8683jb

• Referrals: 0
Re: Neat Japanese Type 99 with bayonet from Tinian
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:58:23 PM »
It's great to get that stuff directly from the vet who brought it back and to know a little of its history!

Offline ScottG

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
It's great to get that stuff directly from the vet who brought it back and to know a little of its history!

Yes, while we love great militaria at the museum, we really love when there is a first hand account as well. Thanks!  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 05:20:03 PM »
Scott,

Learned something new today.. Was not aware that the Japanese used muzzle covers.. Intersting

Smitty 
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 01:03:42 AM »
Scott,

Learned something new today.. Was not aware that the Japanese used muzzle covers.. Intersting

Smitty

They come in brass and bakelite Smitty. They are not too difficult to find, but they are rarely with a vet bring back rifle. Learning more about this stuff we love is what keeps the hobby interesting and fun for me.   Scott

BannerFans.com