BannerFans.com

Author Topic: M1 helmet liner - help identify?  (Read 151 times)

Offline 8683jb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
M1 helmet liner - help identify?
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
Iím hoping to get some opinions on a high pressure M1 helmet liner I have. Itís an MSA with khaki suspension webbing, an M.S. & S.M. sweatband and black non-magnetic A washers. It came with half of a United-Carr chin strap. Sounds like WW2, but there is no grommet over the front rivet. I have read various articles on these, and somewhere I read that the lack of the grommet occurred in some WW2 liners. However, most articles state that the grommet is in all WW2 liners and then deleted in post-WW2 liners. Iíve also read that MSA ceased making liners at the end of the war, and so if itís MSA itís WW2. But other articles say that MSA, along with Westinghouse and Capac, resumed making liners for the Korean War. If not for the khaki suspension, I wouldnít think twice that the liner is post-war with some wartime components, but the khaki is clearly original to this liner. Can someone clear this up for me? I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
Re: M1 helmet liner - help identify?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
I recall reading before about some MSA liners missing the grommet hole. Most were unpainted liners. Curious if yours is too. No specific explanation as to why (cost savings, quality control issues, etc., have all been theorized). All in all, appears to be an original, WWII era produced helmet liner.

If memory serves me correct, the grommet hole wasn't officially dropped from production until around 1958. 
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline 8683jb

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 11:48:47 AM »

Thanks for the reply Eric. The liner is unpainted. I didnít know the grommet continued after WW2 and Iíd like to learn more about these. Itís amazing how many subtle differences there are just in helmets & liners and I enjoy reading all the posts from knowledgeable collectors! I donít intend to collect them Ė I only have the helmet and a few other original WW2 items as accoutrements for my half-track. But I do want everything on the half-track to be original and wartime pieces. I really appreciate your help Eric! Thanks so much.
Jon

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »
  I think Eric hit the nail on the head here. It is quite common to find Vietnam era used helmets that are front seam, swivel or fixed bail, and with WWII liners. My personal M-1 from 1986 is a front seam swivel bail M1, though the liner was a new issue liner and of course it had a woodland cover.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline 8683jb

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 06:14:18 PM »
Thank you guys for the help and information.

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:19:09 AM »

Thanks for the reply Eric. The liner is unpainted. I didnít know the grommet continued after WW2 and Iíd like to learn more about these. Itís amazing how many subtle differences there are just in helmets & liners and I enjoy reading all the posts from knowledgeable collectors! I donít intend to collect them Ė I only have the helmet and a few other original WW2 items as accoutrements for my half-track. But I do want everything on the half-track to be original and wartime pieces. I really appreciate your help Eric! Thanks so much.
Jon

Glad to help! If you ever decide to jump in head first (pun intended) to M1 helmet collecting, I would suggest the following books for WWII era and Post-War M1 Helmets, respectively:

https://www.amazon.com/Helmets-ETO-Historical-Technical-Guide/dp/2352500621

https://www.amazon.com/Post-World-War-M-1-Helmets-Illustrated/dp/076431033X

Be careful, though, it can become quite the addiction! ;D

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 11:36:18 AM by Masonk »
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline 8683jb

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
I can see how the hobby would be addicting! Thanks for the recommendations on the books. Iíll save that information, just in case. For now though, my current vices are keeping me pretty busy!

BannerFans.com