BannerFans.com

Author Topic: A very odd windfall, WWI German helmet  (Read 510 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
A very odd windfall, WWI German helmet
« on: February 02, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »
   This helmet was loaned to our museum by one of the board Trustee's. He is a holdover from the old historical society group and not in tune per se with militaria. That said, he is a collector of things and an avid antique guy. We have had the helmet on display for years between the two buildings and I have likely shared pics of it before.
  The Trustee is in his mid 70s and is an odd duck to say the least. He began selling off many of his guns to our Presidents Husband for decent prices. Then he came in and donated several military related items to the museum. So, the President and I asked him to donate the helmet. (There is a belief that it actually belonged to the museum and that he took it when he was President in the 1980s) We know the provenance and we actually have the Pershing boots from the soldier who brought the helmet home.
   He would not donate it, stating that he had to buy it from the former owner and it was expensive. Thing is, the former owner was a little old lady who donated the other items... So, we played this cat and mouse game for a few years. Several weeks ago, he comes in and says he is going to sell the helmet! I ask him the price and again he states "expensive"... So, I tell him that we would love to have it at the museum, but that purchasing it isn't in the budget. My hope is that he will donate it or just leave it for a while so we can raise the funds. He says no, he wants to sell it.
   I ask him the price again and get his story about how he bought it and it was expensive then, and he needs to make something on it etc... You all know the type.
   He leaves saying he will come back to me with a price soon, but that it will have to be acted on as he doesn't want to wait. Not that I know his business, but this guy is quite stable and has no family (see odd duck above). About a week goes by and he shows up while we are open and says he has his price, its firm, and he would like the matter settled that day or he would take it to the antique mall!
    After all the work we did on the museum, after all his years in the group and after trying to work this out for the good of the museum. It all came down to this moment! He was going to sell, and it had to be done now! In giving me his "expensive" story again, he then said he wanted $100.00 MORE than what he paid! I will pause here for pics of the helmet.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

Re: A very odd windfall, WWI German helmet
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:08:37 PM »
   More pics.  Scott.
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
  Now, back to the story. Our society President and myself along with others have tried everything to retain this, but even if it were $100.00 we just don't have a budget for artifacts yet... So he comes in and gives his story, tells me all about how its his and he wants to make money and he can't be thinking about donations or the budget etc... and says, I want $400.00!
  As you can imagine, I got up, asked him to wait a few minutes and went to the bank across the street and bought the helmet no questions asked! Do I know its worth much more? You bet! Did I try to work with him? Yep! Do I feel guilty about lowballing him? NO, because I didn't, he set the price and was adamant that he was not wanting to deal. He has been a constant source of grief throughout our short existence and has to be watched as he is uncouth, always interrupts, and is generally just a nuisance to have around. When the deal was done, he had the nerve to say, " I knew if I held out you would pay". Man was I pissed! I don't like to take advantage of people, especially when I know them, but this guy thought he was doing that very same thing to me and to the museum that we both are supposed to be supporting! So, I went to the internet, pulled up recent sales on Prussian 1915s with covers and gave him a look. Then I thanked him for doing business! So, now I own a nice helmet from WWI and someday, I think it will go to the museum.    Scott

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
Scott,

Great story.. Glad you got the helmet, sounds like a real Gem this older guy.. Wow... Well at least now the helmet is secure and you can enjoy it..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
  Thanks Smitty, and yes its a great helmet for sure but somewhat out of my collecting area... I like it but it just grinds my gears that this supposed supporter of our museum did this. I am not yet in a position to give $400.00 bills away and I don't qualify for a tax deduction. So in order to keep this here I had to commit to owning it... Not the end of the world, but not what I expected.  Scott

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 0
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 06:20:10 AM »
Wow, what a scrooge! Just goes to show you that karma is a bit*h. Sad, because at the end of the day, he still netted a $400 profit, but certainly a win for you, and one day the museum.

What was his reaction when you showed him what these were selling for?
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline ScottG

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
Wow, what a scrooge! Just goes to show you that karma is a bit*h. Sad, because at the end of the day, he still netted a $400 profit, but certainly a win for you, and one day the museum.

What was his reaction when you showed him what these were selling for?

To say it was worth the $400.00 should adequately describe his reaction  ;D
 There was a good bit of yammering and but but but... The best was one of the other Trustee's said if after I bought it he would  offer me $1500.00 right in front of the seller. Not sure if he would have, but he felt the same way we all did.   Scott

BannerFans.com