BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Hell in a Small Place...Tarawa 74 years ago  (Read 671 times)

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 1
Hell in a Small Place...Tarawa 74 years ago
« on: November 20, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »
Remembering the Battle of Tarawa November 20-22 1943

Often called One Square Mile of Hell..3 Days...76 Hours and one of the most brutal and costly battles of the Pacific War up to that time:

The final casualty figures for the 2d Marine Division in Operation GALVANIC were 997 Marines and 30 sailors (organic medical personnel) dead; 88 Marines missing and presumed dead; and 2,233 Marines and 59 sailors wounded. Total casualties: 3,407. The Guadalcanal campaign had cost a comparable amount of Marine casualties over six months; Tarawa's losses occurred in a period of 76 hours. Moreover, the ratio of killed to wounded at Tarawa was significantly high, reflecting the savagery of the fighting. The overall proportion of casualties among those Marines engaged in the assault was about 19 percent, a steep but "acceptable" price. But some battalions suffered much higher losses. The 2d Amphibian Tractor Battalion lost over half the command. The battalion also lost all but 35 of the 125 LVT's employed at Betio.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Hell in a Small Place...Tarawa 74 years ago
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:10:13 PM »
Went to visit a local cemetary 25 miles away today in memory of a Tarawa vet who finally came home to rest.

It was a cold and windy day here in the Midwest.Grey and overcast.Stark contrast to the conditions on that island of death the day Palmer was killed.While at the cemetery I noticed no flag or vets bronze marker.I left to purchase a flag and returned to put it in place.

Palmer Haraldson was found and identified after 73 years as an MIA/KIA from the battle on Tarawa where he was killed on the 3rd day,November 22nd 1943.

Thanks to the dedication of those who work for historyflight Palmer was found,identified and returned home.

I had the honor to attend his return and two meet two of the historyflight personel who found him.

74 years ago November 22nd Palmer gave his tomorro's for our today's.

On Thanksgiving lets not forget to thank all those who gave service or sacrifice to our country.

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

BannerFans.com