BannerFans.com

Author Topic: USCG "Rumchaser" USS Paulding (CG-17), 1927  (Read 871 times)

Offline Robswashashore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
USCG "Rumchaser" USS Paulding (CG-17), 1927
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] The Paulding was a former USN destroyer lent to the Coast Guard for Prohibition enforcement; it patrolled the coast of New England in search of "Rumrunners."  CG-17 was working off Provincetown, MA when she collided with the submarine S-4, which sank with the loss of all hands.

I have recreated the Paulding, the S-4, and the submarine rescue ship USS Falcon for a display commemorating the 90th anniversary of this tragic incident this December.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:31:51 PM by Robswashashore »

Offline alibi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Re: USCG "Rumchaser" USS Paulding (CG-17), 1927
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
In the event you haven't seen the images on this web site I invite your attention to:

https://www.digitalcommonwealth.org/search?page=3&q=S-4&search_field=all_fields

I did a search for "S-4" and there are some interesting images of S-4, later in the series there are images of USS Falcon and USCG Paulding.

I heard a story that it was popular for experienced destroyer sailors to ask new sailors which of the stacks was further apart.  In these flush deck destroyers there was a noticeable space between funnel 2 and 3, and the newly assigned sailors usually tried to determine between no. 1 and 2 and number 3 and 4 which were further apart.  The answer is No. 1 and 4, but apparently the question was a sort of initiation to new destroyer men.

BTW USS Pauling DD-22 was the class leader of 21 destroyers.

BannerFans.com