BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Alleged M1 Helmet Fabrications  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Alleged M1 Helmet Fabrications
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
My ol' pal Ken Lewis...aka "General Apathy" has kept me abreast of this sorry tale. I actually did some horse-trading with Jamie a couple of years ago. I traded him a near mint complete Inland airborne liner...a big bucks item...which he was happy to pay the going rate for. Seemed like an ok guy...I had no issues with him then. However, this latest episode really sucks...big time!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:00:08 AM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »
Its been noted on the U*S*M*F that kashboy is making refunds and then wanting his product back.Its unclear which members asked for refunds or not.Appears Kashetta is pressing some to return items.

Im glad that there is a resolution on this but wonder if there isnt a bit more motive than repaying customers.There is still a very legal issue here called fraud and he knowingly sold these items as fakes he created.Grand Larceny comes to mind.

Im wondering if Kashetta is retrieving chiseled fakes more so to avoid having evidence out there rather than some new found sense of setting things right
Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline Masonk

• Referrals: 0
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 02:58:18 PM »
Doyler alluded to this, however according to one of the individuals who were sold a fabricated helmet(s), Jamie has requested the helmet be returned to him.

Text from the thread:

So out of the blue i started getting harassing emails from jkash asking me when i was going to send the fake helmets back....he did refund me but never mentioned wanting the fake helmets back...just wondering if any other victims of his crimes has sent the fakes back?...kind of a moral conundrum as i dont want him to resell or fool anyone else with them but technically they are his helmets now that he refunded?...what do you guys think and whats your experience dealing with getting your refund and has he asked for the helmets yet?

Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline Masonk

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 03:01:34 PM »
My ol' pal Ken Lewis...aka "General Apathy" has kept me abreast of this sorry tale. I actually did some horse-trading with Jamie a couple of years ago. I traded him a near mint complete Inland airborne liner...a big bucks item...which he was happy to pay the going rate for. Seemed like an ok guy...I had no issues with him then. However, this latest episode really sucks...big time!

I wonder if it was used to enhance one of his fabrications?

All around a bad situation for the hobby. Who knows how may are already floating around out there in collections; passed on from collector to collector, with no chain of custody, and no way to know if it is one of his creations. At least it was cut short in comparison to the SS Champagne Runes, which went on for decades before being outed. 
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »

All around a bad situation for the hobby. Who knows how may are already floating around out there in collections; passed on from collector to collector, with no chain of custody, and no way to know if it is one of his creations. At least it was cut short in comparison to the SS Champagne Runes, which went on for decades before being outed.

Eric, in regards to the Champagne rune issue, you speak in past tense as if it is over. Yes, the Champagne rune decal has been outed, but ALL of the players are still very much in the game and going strong. Folks need to monitor camo's of WWI and WWII. Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 05:39:30 AM »
Let's say, for example, that he paired my scarce Inland airborne liner with an equally scarce M2 shell ( which I believe is what he intended to do, for his own collection) and then later added some spurious camo and/or markings and sold it on for in excess of $1000. Fast forward to today and perhaps the purchaser will have been fully refunded. However...they will still be in possession of a helmet whose original constituent parts remain desirable and big bucks items...so in a sense for them it's a win-win situation...is it not? ( Provided they retain it, of course!)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Masonk

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »

Eric, in regards to the Champagne rune issue, you speak in past tense as if it is over. Yes, the Champagne rune decal has been outed, but ALL of the players are still very much in the game and going strong. Folks need to monitor camo's of WWI and WWII. Scott

Agree 100%, Scott. I was specifically referring to the fact they have been identified as not being period manufactured and applied.

Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Masonk

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 09:01:33 AM »
Let's say, for example, that he paired my scarce Inland airborne liner with an equally scarce M2 shell ( which I believe is what he intended to do, for his own collection) and then later added some spurious camo and/or markings and sold it on for in excess of $1000. Fast forward to today and perhaps the purchaser will have been fully refunded. However...they will still be in possession of a helmet whose original constituent parts remain desirable and big bucks items...so in a sense for them it's a win-win situation...is it not? ( Provided they retain it, of course!)

I agree Ian, well depending on what they paid for the whole set, and whether they were one of those who have been refunded.

I hope you didn't take my comment as a knock towards you, implying your trade was fueling Jamie's empire. Totally not my intent. I was purely wondering if he used it as a part in one of his fabrications.

Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 10:27:34 AM »
No...not at all Eric. My dealings with him came about 2-3 years ago when I was active on the USMF. We used to both talk about helmet collecting. He was heavily into airborne stuff and made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the Inland airborne liner. There was no hint of what was to come back then. Seemed like an OK kind of guy with a love for the hobby.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:28:09 AM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com