BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Alleged M1 Helmet Fabrications  (Read 4317 times)

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
Alleged M1 Helmet Fabrications
« on: August 21, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »
All,
While I typically wouldn't post a link to a thread on another forum, I think this is an important read for any and all M1 Helmet collectors.

Quick backstory:

I well established (and to some considered an authority in the field), helmet collector/dealer was recently outed as allegedly producing and selling high end M1 helmets. This individual is Jamie Kashetta, known to some as Jkash23686.

Jamie would allegedly take unpainted helmets, and add TAC markings or camouflage to enhance their value (mostly vesicant paint), in some cases by thousands of dollars. He was discovered when a helmet, specifically a d-loop with attribution to a Lt. Joseph Shelton, previously in his possession, suddenly reappeared with a new camo paint job. In addition, the previously included Westinghouse Airborne liner had been replaced with a more valuable Inland Airborne liner. The Westinghouse liner was then sold with another helmet.

Jamie is apparently refunding those he allegedly defrauded, however these helmets are still out there. Now I would hope those collectors will do the right thing and destroy those helmets, or at least mark them in some way so others know they are fabrications. Still, though, it's always possible for them to make it onto the open market (sold as a reproduction, lost in a move, passing of the individual).

The thread has many photos pulled from Jamie's Instagram account, his website and his Facebook page. Not implying that all are fabrications, as some have a chain of custody that predates Jamie acquiring them, however you may want to make note of all of them, most notably those that appear to have a vesicant paint camo scheme.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/280711-m2-of-lt-joseph-shelton-505th-pir/
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline Masonk

Re: Alleged M1 Helmet Fabrications
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
Here is the helmet that led to the discovery, with similarities circled in red. The last photo shows the liner in the original helmet, followed by the liner in a different helmet, which was sold on Jamie's website. Jamie's response to the Shelton helmet was that he believed it to be a fabrication before it came into his possession. This explains why he would alter what some would already consider to be a valuable/collectible helmet.

His response to his actions below:

"First thing, the Shelton helmet. I believe to be a fake from the get go after further inspection. I noticed, the buttons on the straps looked crimped like the ones where people add non factory snaps to straps as well as the fluff that comes though. After looking at the feet to me it started its life as a fixed bail. Also the style of the name i have seen before on other helmets of a specific collector, who originally was excluded from the chain of ownership when I first got the helmet. I have sent all the info on that to one of the admins, as to not seem like I am trying to shift blame on anyone else.

Second returns. No, Paypal is not forcing me to refund anyone, with my site I use another company other than paypal, so they have no say in what I have refunded thus far. Also I gave a screenshot of what I have refunded so far to the same admin mentioned as proof with more to come when its applicable. But in a few cases, I have been contacted about lids that I had nothing to do with if fake or are real and those will not be refunded.

Lastly, as for an explanation, lets be honest, is there really anything I could put here thats not going to make a few people here who like to just be confrontational no matter what? What I will say, is that I originally was asked to paint some helmet for other people, since I could paint, and I did a few for vets as well, and it just got out of control and for that I'm sorry."
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
Thanks Eric,

This topic has fueled a firestorm on the forum and it is still going..

Smitty

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Masonk

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 10:42:32 AM »
Thanks Eric,

This topic has fueled a firestorm on the forum and it is still going..

Smitty

Indeed, Smitty. A lot of collectors are heated, some rightfully so. Lot's of unanswered questions, as well, but I won't get into that. I was quite shocked that he came back, and provided a response.
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
I think there are some good lessons to learn from this whole situation..

Sadly nothing is sacred anymore.. Anyplace where there could be a potential profit to be made, there will be these type of situations...

Glad that the darkness has been brought into the light...

It has really impacted my decisions to still keep collecting. I am very jaded now...

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »
This is shocking to hear  :o.
How much stuff out there is "legit" anymore ??  Im glad i only collect what i do , and am constantly trying to increase my knowledge on my chosen subject so that i can be "fore armed" .

Thank you Eric for bringing this to light

LB
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Masonk

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »

Sadly nothing is sacred anymore.. Anyplace where there could be a potential profit to be made, there will be these type of situations...

It has really impacted my decisions to still keep collecting. I am very jaded now...

Smitty

Agreed on all counts. I'm sure quite a few people are reevaluating whether to continue with this hobby.
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline Masonk

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »
This is shocking to hear  :o.
How much stuff out there is "legit" anymore ??  Im glad i only collect what i do , and am constantly trying to increase my knowledge on my chosen subject so that i can be "fore armed" .

Thank you Eric for bringing this to light

LB

No problem, LB. This is one of the main reasons I stay away from TR items. It's such a minefield with respect to authentic vs reproduction. It's overflowed onto the US side in the past, but never at this level, at least not that we're aware.

And a valid point; at the end of the day, you should study the source material, and trust only your judgment. So many people lend credence to so called experts, and base their purchases off of the word of someone else.
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline alibi

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 07:26:49 PM »

Smitty

This is nothing new under the sun.  I stopped collecting 40 years ago because I was so "jaded" by dealers.  Tthe reports that collectors post just reinforce my decision to stop contributing to dealers.  I have on occasion painted dealers as licensed fences (if licensed at all) and usually hear from someone that defends dealers.  There may be dealers that are more honest than others but I find it hard to believe they didn't at some time make a large profit on something they could have sold for a reasonable profit but went for top dollar.  I wouldn't assign the term "reputable" to any dealer. 

A particularly despicable thing to do is break up a set to maximize profit.  This was the situation I encountered with a dealer that acquired the uniforms, documents and photographs of a soldier that enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1888 and retired in 1922, and pieced the entire collection for huge profit.  These forgers, or the popular hysterical collector term faker, are a somewhat different breed of dealer but a dealer none-the-less.

For years I have been advocating that if you want to collect something collect reference books, but the story of my experience with collecting, disgust with dealers, and recommendations goes unheeded.

Offline RoyA

• Referrals: 5
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
Thank you for posting this Eric.
A sickening situation but at least he was outed.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 09:28:10 AM »
This individual is also now banned on the USMF forum.

He has done an incredible amount of damage for helmet collectors and collectors all around.

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25:31 AM »
Yes this is a most serious hit to collecting but nothing new.Not even to US helmets.Its just more I understand visible now with the internet.

Many of the old school upper nazi dealers who tainted the hobby have now rushed into the US side as they saw the switch flip and saw the money to be made selling US.Many are not interested or even know or care if something is real as its just about money and resale profit.I can saw with assurance that not one of these guys cant say they have never sold something german that was fake whether they knew it or not.Several have put things in books only come out later as fake as more knowledge is gained but its in a book so its legitimized and this vets the item for the public which can then be sold for more money as its in a book....a pattern often seen.

I never really drank the Kool-Aid kashboy was selling and pouring.Im not expert.Just a collector.I understand if you have deep pockets a collection can be assembled but it also invites others to pick your pockets by producing fakes.

Just didnt add up.These helmets just seemed to constantly pop up like rabbits out of a hat.Plus the base finnish looked to me all to match.But the helmet mafia would bless him and come out and circle the wagons if something was questioned.This is a pack mentality.Why? Because several helmets would trade hands back and fourth between the  helmet mafia and for big money.

Im afraid now the topic has been shut down some of the questions may not get answered as to where the helmet came from originally.I understand there are things still being sorted and verified and I shared info I was given as well.

The Shelton helmet would have caused a stir in th Airborne field when it first surfaced and yet ask yourself why few of the old deep pocket airborne collectors know of it or are even commenting.On the U*S*M*F why hasn't Sheltons son who posted ever came back to state his disappointed or out rage that its not his fathers helmet?

No one has posted moring reports that proves the 1st Div vet who picked the helmet up was really where the back story places him.I stated in the topic the name painted looks like things seen in euro fakes done on german helmets but got no mileage on it.This adds another layer to the fakes we know peddled by a author who has passed fake jump suits and hemets for years.There is a trail and connection to be made.Someone knows the truth and others have walked awzy or distanced themselves who owned the helmet in the past.Hopefully time will tell.

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 10:04:37 PM »
As is sadly the case with far too many things, money and profit, trump integrity and history. 

I think I'll stay over in the little corner of USAAF fans where it's not such a minefield.  Although I suppose if the big 8th Air Force miniseries will make that go to hell too with everyone all of a sudden wanting 'real'
 A2s etc.

It has to be about preserving the history, otherwise what's the point?

Offline Masonk

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 12:41:11 PM »
Yes this is a most serious hit to collecting but nothing new.Not even to US helmets.Its just more I understand visible now with the internet.

Many of the old school upper nazi dealers who tainted the hobby have now rushed into the US side as they saw the switch flip and saw the money to be made selling US.Many are not interested or even know or care if something is real as its just about money and resale profit.I can saw with assurance that not one of these guys cant say they have never sold something german that was fake whether they knew it or not.Several have put things in books only come out later as fake as more knowledge is gained but its in a book so its legitimized and this vets the item for the public which can then be sold for more money as its in a book....a pattern often seen.

I never really drank the Kool-Aid kashboy was selling and pouring.Im not expert.Just a collector.I understand if you have deep pockets a collection can be assembled but it also invites others to pick your pockets by producing fakes.

Just didnt add up.These helmets just seemed to constantly pop up like rabbits out of a hat.Plus the base finnish looked to me all to match.But the helmet mafia would bless him and come out and circle the wagons if something was questioned.This is a pack mentality.Why? Because several helmets would trade hands back and fourth between the  helmet mafia and for big money.

Im afraid now the topic has been shut down some of the questions may not get answered as to where the helmet came from originally.I understand there are things still being sorted and verified and I shared info I was given as well.

The Shelton helmet would have caused a stir in th Airborne field when it first surfaced and yet ask yourself why few of the old deep pocket airborne collectors know of it or are even commenting.On the U*S*M*F why hasn't Sheltons son who posted ever came back to state his disappointed or out rage that its not his fathers helmet?

No one has posted moring reports that proves the 1st Div vet who picked the helmet up was really where the back story places him.I stated in the topic the name painted looks like things seen in euro fakes done on german helmets but got no mileage on it.This adds another layer to the fakes we know peddled by a author who has passed fake jump suits and hemets for years.There is a trail and connection to be made.Someone knows the truth and others have walked awzy or distanced themselves who owned the helmet in the past.Hopefully time will tell.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding the Shelton helmet, and it's chain of custody. A lot of theories floating around behind the scenes, which I won't delve into here, as there is nothing to substantiate them.

That aside, it appears Jamie is active on eBay (seller name - dcboxer78) selling at least one helmet at the moment, I assume to recoup some of the refunds he's given.

Just be careful out there, and make decisions your own, and not based on the opinions of others. If you make a mistake, you only have yourself to blame. Callous, but true.
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 09:22:27 PM »
 Well said Eric, at the end of the day a dealer is just that, a dealer out to make money. There is no crime in that, but some are not satisfied with just making an honest profit. They need to "maximize" profit whatever the cost may be. This hurts the hobby and in the case of the SS Champagne debacle oops I mean decal, it really damaged the German helmet field. Hopefully the U.S. field won't be harmed as bad.
  Kudos to those who caught Jaime and exposed him through solid facts and traceable evidence. As one who is intimately familiar with ALL of the players in the Champagne SS scam, it should have gone the same way. Unfortunately a very honest and dedicated collector/researcher got ostracized and turned out by "the good ole boy" network for telling the truth. Those that can substantiate his findings either won't as they would lose money and be outed, or they are not recognized "experts" so no one will listen...    Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

BannerFans.com