BannerFans.com

Author Topic: B-17 Pilot Robert Shoens was in today  (Read 1417 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
B-17 Pilot Robert Shoens was in today
« on: August 16, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
  Here you go Carl. I just said farewell to 100th Bomb Group Pilot Robert Shoens, who stopped in to see the museum today. He completed 30 missions in "Our Gal Sal" between 43 and 44.  Scott
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:12:53 AM by ScottG »
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

Re: B-17 Pilot Robert Schoens was in today
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:11:52 AM »
  So I rotated the image before posting it and it still posted sideways? Anyone out there know how to fix it? Thanks in advance.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: B-17 Pilot Robert Shoens was in today
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:29:01 PM »

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:00:59 PM »
A honour indeed Scott !!!
I hope you documented you time with him ?
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline ScottG

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:48:04 PM »
A honour indeed Scott !!!
I hope you documented you time with him ?

I am finding that this is becoming a real balancing act. Imagine being there and someone like him arrives. What is he there for? The short answer is to visit the museum. So, taking that into consideration I must let that happen. The balance enters the equation when I also consider his age and health. Will he visit again? We can only hope, but the reality is we don't always get another chance. So, I try to converse as we tour the exhibits, ask a few questions that might not be answered already in an oral history or article etc... Basically, I just walk and listen to the vets. I add what I can and always try to get them to return if possible. But I think they just need time to see the museum, and I am honored to just be there when that happens.
  Bob talked a bit today, and we looked through all of the related AAF stuff that I could share with him. But mostly I just watched as he read stories of other vets exhibits and waited for his remarks on what interested him. It was really neat, and I do think he will come back out just to chat for a while. I did share the pics on the museum Facebook page and also linked the video Gary shared above.  Scott.

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
I hear you Scott !!  I think.i would have probably got stage fright with him !!
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

BannerFans.com