BannerFans.com

Author Topic: USAAF used Type C Helmet-Taped ear cups  (Read 1444 times)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
USAAF used Type C Helmet-Taped ear cups
« on: August 04, 2017, 08:35:21 PM »
I've been meaning to get the camera out and document some of my Type Cs as they are my favorite flight helmet going back to being a little kid.  I spend some time cleaning up the one in this thread and thought it looked really good and worth sharing.  Haven't seen Nigel around in a while, but hope the Type C expert shows up to see these

This isn't my first Type C, which will always be my favorite, but this is a close second.  One of the things that in my mind determine it was an 8th or 9th AF used Type C is the ANB-H-1 receivers being taped into the cups on the helmet.  I figured finding one of those was a real long shot.  But I got lucky.  I was trolling eBay one night a few years ago now and there it was.  It was an absolutely trashed Type C but it had taped in receivers.  Being one who has this thing about saving the wrecked stuff, I was able to get it.  Sadly I don't have pictures of it as I got it, but imagine a dried out helmet, with a few tears in the leather and the interior lining just about completely gone. 

Stephen Silburn to the rescue.  He'd restored the Type C I'd had since I was a teenager and he took this one on.  I didn't have much hope, but as has continually happened with Stephen he performed a miracle and sent me back this.  He'd actually found an NOS lining and put it in this helmet, bringing it back from the dead.  He also repaired the other bits.  Some serious work with Pecards on the dried leather and this is how it looks now.  Hope you don't mind all the photos.

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
Re: USAAF used Type C Helmet-Taped ear cups
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 03:58:03 AM »
Dan,

Beautiful helmet!  Great save.  Steve Silburn is definitely THE best at restoration.

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 04:46:38 AM »
Is it just helmets he restores ??
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
Is it just helmets he restores ??

Not sure Carl.  He's known for his RAF Helmet reproductions for many a film, along with RAF oxygen masks etc.

He's repaired or restored 3 Type Cs and a Type D for me.  Amazing work and if you want to know about Type Cs, he's the man :)

BannerFans.com