BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Box of helmets in today with a cool story!  (Read 2076 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Box of helmets in today with a cool story!
« on: July 04, 2017, 08:53:19 PM »
 As many of you know, I run a military museum here in Michigan and as they say on Pawn Stars, "you never know what's going to walk in the door." On Sunday a man dropped by with a box of "Family" helmets. There was a US Navy MK II Talker from a Brother, a German WWI shell from an Uncle that found it while vacationing in France in 1936! A Japanese Navy shell with no apparent provenance, and the mans Korean era pained and decaled M-1 liner from his days at Fort Knox. More on him in a moment.

The last helmet also came from the Brother who picked it up while working salvage in Normandy in 1948! Its only a shell, but the camo is still really in evidence and even some of the decal, albeit just gold flecks here and there... I haven't had a chance to get a good look at the markings as the paint is fairly thick and I need to take a magnifying glass in. That said, I thought I would share the pictures of the shell here.

What really makes these shells, interesting is that the donor is a man named Sparry Sparks, he is the Grandson of one William Sparks who was a partner with Colonel Withington a 17th Michigan Infantry Medal o fHonor recipient. They co-owned Sparks-Withington Company which later became called Sparton (1917).  They produced the M1917 Brodies here in Jackson MI. So, a pretty cool family to get helmets from!

Enjoy the pics!   Scott.
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

Re: Box of helmets in today with a cool story!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »
   German WWI shell found in France in 1936.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:56:13 PM »
  US Navy Mk II Talker.  Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 08:57:59 PM »
  Japanese navy helmet shell. Sad because the outer paint is decent, but the liner and badge are gone and its damaged... Still, it will display nice in the museum!  Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:00:01 PM »
  WWII German Normandy Camo. Again, no liner but it was found in 1948 while his Brother was in the navy and working salvage there.  Scott.

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »
Scott,

Once again some very nice donations!  Is the chin strap on the liner really bright yellow?  Never seen that before.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
Scott,

Once again some very nice donations!  Is the chin strap on the liner really bright yellow?  Never seen that before.

Yes, the brightest yellow you can imagine! My Father in Law said that the D.I.s had helmets like this when he was at Ft. Knox in the late 60s. so, perhaps a cadre type of esprit de corps?   Scott

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »
Holy cow! It never rains...it pours!!  What a great selection of relics...and yeah, that yellow chinstrap is pretty darned bright. Never seen its like before....very interesting.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Holy cow! It never rains...it pours!!  What a great selection of relics...and yeah, that yellow chinstrap is pretty darned bright. Never seen its like before....very interesting.

The yellow is thick and stiff. So much so, that the strap is not removable without damaging the paint or maybe even the strap.  Scott

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »
Awesome additions to the musem.

Thanks for posting  ;)
Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 10:32:13 AM »

The yellow is thick and stiff. So much so, that the strap is not removable without damaging the paint or maybe even the strap.  Scott

Good old enamel leadcbased paint  ;D
Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

BannerFans.com