photo bannerfans_11430117_zps8b63cb2d.gif

Author Topic: Hawkins Boots,what have I got?  (Read 1482 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Hawkins Boots,what have I got?
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:05:27 PM »
 So this afternoon at the museum we had a local television crew in filming a segment for a show called "Destination Michigan." During the filming the North American Arch Bishop for the Romanian Eastern Orthodox Church came in! So, needless to say we were quite flattered and honored today. Bishop Nathan lives very near me as the North American HQ is here in Grass Lake.
   He brought over a bag of goodies that he said he picked up at various garage sales etc... In the bag was a Swedish ammo bandolier and Swedish tankers helmet (very funny looking...) also a WWII Luftwaffe ammo pouch and these boots. They are marked Hawkins Northhampton Boot, but have no other markings or date. They seem to be a flight boot and are in pretty nice shape with the exception of one strap that has a broken end. They sure look to be WWII vintage, but I admittedly know little about British aviation footwear and even less when it comes to civilian vs. military manufacture. So maybe someone here may know more? Carl? Ian???   Thanks, Scott.
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Hawkins Boots,what have I got?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
They are Hawkins "biker boots"  They look similar to RAF pattern 1936 flying boots.  Not wartime flying boots however.  The side placement of the strap being the giveaway initially. A bit of internet digging confirms that.  1960s vintage.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:43:22 PM by Guppy35 »

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »
Dan nailed it. The British "biker" scene took a lot of inspiration from RAF gear...for example "Stadium" brand motor-cycle goggles are essentially modern copies of WW2 Mk VIIIs. BTW...Northampton is the traditional home of the English footwear industry.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:44:09 AM »
  Thanks fella's, looks like the only gem was the Luftwaffe ammo pouch. Perhaps some biker will want a vintage pair of boots for the old Triumph!  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:46:12 AM »
  Thanks fella's, looks like the only gem was the Luftwaffe ammo pouch. Perhaps some biker will want a vintage pair of boots for the old Triumph!  Scott

I don't doubt it Scott...vintage stuff is really hot at the moment! ( BTW...these are the Stadium goggles I referred to)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 08:23:04 AM »
Vintage biker leather is hot and valuable.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

BannerFans.com