BannerFans.com

Author Topic: USAAF used Aussie flying boots.  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
USAAF used Aussie flying boots.
« on: May 19, 2017, 08:48:31 PM »
Got lucky the other day.  Came across a listing for a pair of Bedggood made Aussie flying boots made in Melbourne Australia.  It was a listing that was local to where I live so it caught my interest.  I almost talked myself out of them as I have another pair of those Aussie boots, but these were in better shape and not very expensive so I went for it.  They are based on the RAF 1936 pattern boots and were very popular with USAAF pilots in the SWPA. 

Once I took the leap, I then messaged the seller asking if he knew where they came from.  All he had was a last name, but due to it's uniqueness it took me about 10 minutes to get lucky on an obituary for a guy with the same last name from St. Paul Minnesota who was in the USAAF in WW2 who had died in 2007.  A bit more digging on Ancestry turned up more info on him and a couple images of him in uniform.  And a bit more digging turned up that he was a bombardier with the 71st BS, 38th BG, 5th AF.  He joined them in November 42 and finished the war as a Major.  He must have seen some serious combat in those B-25s they flew.  Needless to say an impulse buy now gives me another history project which I absolutely love.  Hopefully I'll be able to fill out the story on his war.  Double the fun in that he's a local guy.

Images are of  James Gryc on graduation from Bombardier School and I'm assuming at the end of the war.

The boots.  The lining is coming apart a bit but the outside leather is in great shape.

Gotta wonder if that's some New Guinea dirt on the bottom of those boots :)

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
Re: USAAF used Aussie flying boots.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
Very nice boots and the contrast in pictures are telling.  In the second picture he has the look of a man that has seen things he would rather forget.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 12:50:40 AM »
Never encountered such boots. They look very well made and in great shape. Nice find!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 03:30:19 AM »
Beautiful pair of "been there" boots.  And a nice bit of detective work I might add.  Congrats.

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 05:24:38 AM »
Dan !!! You are rolling along !!!! Now who's envious !! ;)

2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
Never encountered such boots. They look very well made and in great shape. Nice find!

I imagine most folks assume that they were RAF boots, when in fact they are the Aussie RAAF version of the 1936 pattern.  Some photos below of examples of American aircrew with these boots on.  According to one book the going rate for a pair was a 45 and a bottle of squadron whiskey :)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
Gotta love when an unintended plan comes together.  Think I've found my man's daughter living locally.  Also found this image of him and his crew with the 71st BS, 38th BG.  And even more fun is I now am getting his "Jeep" Jacket and his WW2 Officer Tunic and his early USAF Blue Tunic.  I guess the lesson is, ask questions :)  No name boots, became this 'grouping' to be, and a vet story to chase.  Everything I love about the hobby!

He's standing back row right.  Tough looking bunch!

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!   well done Dan  !!
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:30:42 PM »

I imagine most folks assume that they were RAF boots, when in fact they are the Aussie RAAF version of the 1936 pattern.  Some photos below of examples of American aircrew with these boots on.  According to one book the going rate for a pair was a 45 and a bottle of squadron whiskey :)

Last pic , anyone else noticed the Garand sling used on the shoulder holster  ;)  Rigger made for sure !!!

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 02:40:11 PM »
Nice catch Carl on the sling :)   I think those guys in the PTO were really good at converting what they had to what they needed.  One P-39 pilot story talks about how they cut down carbines to fit better in the cockpit.  Apparently they looked like the later made Paratrooper folding carbines to the point the 39 guys took credit for the idea.

The Bedggood boots came in black too.  This is my earlier pair.  No story to these unfortunately

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »
Nice boots Dan !   they are the ones i have seen more often .

im still after the RAF 40 pattern boots and life jacket for my fighter Jock !

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:58 PM »
The rest of the bits arrived today :)

WW2 Uniform Tunic

Named

Jeep Jacket

Postwar USAF jacket

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 11:00:11 PM »
Is there anything else Dan !!!!???

BannerFans.com