BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Can't keep up with Carl, but I'm trying...  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Can't keep up with Carl, but I'm trying...
« on: May 09, 2017, 10:44:47 PM »
Due to space and budgetary constraints, I've tried to limit myself to two airmen for my little collection.  I have no idea how Carl keeps piling up the stuff and I must admit to a bit of envy, but I'm fairly pleased with how my little corner of the USAAF world is turning.

First up is my MTO B-25 Bombardier.  Based on the B-10 of F/O David Cruise Jr.  He flew 22 missions at the end of the war with the 488th BS, 340th BG, 12th AF in the MTO.  Same squadron as Joseph Heller of "Catch 22" fame.  In fact there were photos in the group showing a 25 he flew on that Heller flew in about 9 months earlier.  I was lucky enough to convince the eBay seller to let me keep the group together as they had it split.  We then traded e-mails for a while and about a year later they let me know they'd found more bits and offered them to me.  So he's cornerstone #1 for me.

I think I may have posted this image before, but he's about as complete as I can get him minus the actual chute to go with the harness.  F/O Cruise's dog tags are around the neck, his sunglasses are on and there is a Bulova A-11 on the wrist underneath the F-3 suit and B-10.  A-11 helmet, B-8 goggles, A-14 mask, F-3 Suit, B-10 jacket, A-9 pants, A-6A boots and F-2 gloves over the inserts.

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
Re: Can't keep up with Carl, but I'm trying...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:54:18 PM »
Number two pilot inspired by my love for the 474th FG and their P-38s flying with the 9th AF in the ETO.  This image was the kicker for me.  I've long had an original 430th FS, 474th FG patch.  I've pondered over time having it put on a B-10 but couldn't find an image of a pilot wearing one.  That changed with this image of a 430th pilot who is still MIA to this day.  Figured it was a good way to honor him.  To be clear I don't have his B-10, but once I had proof it was worn that way, I was lucky enough to get hold of a really nice B-10 that I had the patch professionally put on.  Probably broke some rule of Miliataria collecting but so be it :)

My version of Lt. Ables

Progressively with his flight gear.  Started with an RAF 1941 pattern Mae West, but changed to a B-4 as I couldn't find any photographic evidence for a 430th pilot wearing one.  Oh well, maybe an excuse for a third pilot.  8th AF ETO maybe :)

And the final version as of now.  RAF Type C, AN6530 goggles, A-14 mask, Summer flight suit under his B-10 and A-9 pants with A-6 boots.  38 cockpits get cold.  A-11a gloves, 1942 production B-4 and a B-8 parachute round out the gear.

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »
And of course my pilot and bombardier can't operate without a wingman :)

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:03:20 PM »
  Really great displays and a fantastic way for your Son to get his hands on history! Its always cool to see the next generation of collectors. Scott.
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 12:52:32 AM »
Yes...Carl has been of a bit of a roll of late, that's for sure! But, hats off to him because he does the groundwork and networking in order to source these rare items, and it clearly pays off.  To each, their own. Your mannequins look great too...I'd be quite happy to have them in my man cave!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 02:39:53 AM »
Dan , your envious of me ??? I'm drooling over those set ups !! That 41 life vest is something that I'm still looking for !be careful if I ever come to visit ! ;D
Your very lucky having the room to display mannequins it's something is love to have , my stuff just stays in boxes and bags  :'( it should be out on display I know  :(

I must admit I've been very lucky as of late , probably being in the right place at the right time for once in my life has paid off  :)

Would you mind showing some pics of the Bulova A11 please Dan ? ( something else I'm wanting !!! Lol )

2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 04:20:57 AM »
Dan,

Excellent representations of the two men you have chosen to honor!

Paul

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:53:10 AM »
Dan,

You have a very impressive collection of items. I would be very happy to have some of the items you have..

Well done, and I really enjoy the fact that your son is involved as well..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:10:20 AM »
Thanks gents.  I came really late to the game on collecting this stuff.  Ironically I spent all of the 80s chasing RAF pilot stories and got to know many but never ever considered asking about any stuff they might have.  I was given the logbook of one by his widow because she had no kids, but other than that it was the stories that mattered to me.  If any of you have come across Steve Brew's two books on 41 Squadron RAF, you'll find much of my research in the second volume "Blood, Sweat and Valour" that covers the 1943-45 period.  I was specifically a Spitfire XII fanatic and 41 flew it the longest.

This image is from my proudest accomplishment outside of marrying my wife and raising my kids.  1985 RAF Coltishall.  I helped to organize the first reunion of the WW2 Spitfire pilots of 41 Squadron.  I got to fly over and hang out with my heroes.  25 years old and in absolute WW2 fighter pilot heaven.  I was the only non-Spitfire pilot vet included in the group photo. Yeah I'm bragging a bit. :)

It was only after all those guys had passed away that I started thinking about preserving the history through the 'stuff'.  A visit to the cemetery overlooking Omaha Beach in 2005 sent me off into USAAF land.  The first grave marker I stopped to look at was a 474rh FG pilot.  When I got home I dove headlong into the 474th and decided I would try and preserve some history of those guys.  The photo I found of the guy who was buried in Normandy showed him wearing an RAF Type C helmet. 

I'd had a beaten up Type C flying helmet since I was about 16.  I learned about Stephen Silburn and he was kind enough to offer to restore it.  While doing so he pointed out that it was clearly a USAAF used helmet based on the extra snaps added.   That convinced me to build the rest of my USAAF pilot below it.  That started the addiction however and here I am :)

In the photo of Matthew and the 474th pilot you can see my oldest son in the photo top right.  He learned the history but never got to play with the 'stuff' like my youngest :)

Carl, I'll get some pics of the A-11 watch later today once I'm home.

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
Forgot to mention Dan , great to see Mathew in the pic ! He sure is growing up !!
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

BannerFans.com