BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Museum additions  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Museum additions
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:50:57 AM »
Whilst at the museum today I dressed a half mannequin in our recently donated Royal Marine Commando dress-blue uniform. Unfortunately, the white dress belt was just a wee bit too small to fit the mannequin's girth, so I used the jacket's blue belt instead. It's an eye-catching addition to our displays. Meanwhile we will continue to investigate sources of suitably small full-length mannequins to better display the RMC uniforms and do them justice.

Another new addition is a photo-board prepared by one of our members honouring Captain Jim Parks of the US Army Field Artillery who, along with hundreds of other GIs, was based in Barry '43 -'44.

Again, they're just phone-cam snaps!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:57:11 AM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
Re: Museum additions
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
  Looking great Ian! I would recommend Webster Display as they have a perfect small size torso with face but I fear it would be cost prohibitive...The torso is fiberglass and it is complete with lifelike face but they run around $220.00usd. I am not sure if that includes shipping, but I am certain that even if it did, it would be more for the U.K.

On a side note, perhaps you could send me a list of the units from the U.S. that were in Barry and vicinity and I could keep my eyes open for connections. It would be really neat to share some connections back and forth.    Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
Thanks Scott. I'll get back to you on that. They were mainly Transportation / Quartermaster Corps personnel charged with unloading the Liberty ships and trucking their loads to wherever they were needed. However the 9th Infantry Regt., ( the "Manchus" ) of the 2nd ID were also based in the area.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 07:58:59 AM »
Ian,

Well displayed.. There is also another company called YANKS MANNEQUINS that you may look into. They are based in California so the shipping may hit you but I will agree that Webster's is very good as well. I have 60 of their mannequins that I use for my personal display/exhibits..

Smitty 
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 10:13:51 AM »
Ian,

Well displayed.. There is also another company called YANKS MANNEQUINS that you may look into. They are based in California so the shipping may hit you but I will agree that Webster's is very good as well. I have 60 of their mannequins that I use for my personal display/exhibits..

Smitty

Sixty?!  Holy cow!  Thanks Smitty.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 09:04:47 PM »
  Ian, to echo what Smitty said, Yanks Mannequins are superb and we love them at the museum. He is a Frenchman living in California, but his Brother runs a similar mannequin operation from France or Belgium, so shipping may be better than from California. In your particular circumstance with the size issue, I recommend Webster as he has a specific half mannequin for very small uniforms. We often have issues with navy jumpers and USMC dress blues being too small for the Styrofoam torso's so when an exhibit is important we bite the bullet and buy one of these Webster models that is expensive but small. Hope this helps and perhaps if you contact Luc at Yanks mannequins he can get you to his Brother?    Scott.
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:14:58 AM »
  Ian, to echo what Smitty said, Yanks Mannequins are superb and we love them at the museum. He is a Frenchman living in California, but his Brother runs a similar mannequin operation from France or Belgium, so shipping may be better than from California. In your particular circumstance with the size issue, I recommend Webster as he has a specific half mannequin for very small uniforms. We often have issues with navy jumpers and USMC dress blues being too small for the Styrofoam torso's so when an exhibit is important we bite the bullet and buy one of these Webster models that is expensive but small. Hope this helps and perhaps if you contact Luc at Yanks mannequins he can get you to his Brother?    Scott.

Scott,

Thanks for the confirmation on the European connection to Yanks.. I thought I heard or read it somewhere but was not too sure. We just recently obtained some mannequins from YANKS and we are very pleased with the mannequin.

Ian, Scott, et al...

Here is a picture of a YANK mannequin that we dressed as a paratrooper. This is still a work in progress but we put something together real quick last week..

Smitty

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 07:39:22 AM »
Looks great Smitty!
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com