BannerFans.com

Author Topic: USN aircraft insignia  (Read 1405 times)

Offline alibi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
USN aircraft insignia
« on: April 29, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »
This is a piece of fabric cut from a U.S. Navy Curtis SOC-1 float plane that was assigned to Observation Squadron 4B (VO-4B) aboard U.S. West Virginia (BB-48).  The SOC crashed in Panama in 1936 during Fleet Problem XVII.   My uncle Richard E. Faust was an aviation machinist mate assigned to VO-4B and probably went to the crash site to recover or salvage the aircraft or usable parts, and this squadron insignia was cut from the side of the fuselage.  I don't know if my uncle actually cut the piece from the aircraft, and he didn't relate how he got it at the time he gave it to me, and he has since died.  I asked my cousin, his daughter, what she knew of this piece and she said she didn't know anything about it.

The two features that I think significant is that this would be useful anyone desiring to acquire the design and colors of the squadron insignia as this is the real thing.  The VO-4 squadron insignia consisted of the aft view of the representation a battleship underway (wake and smoke from stack), with the main guns trained to port and in the act of firing a salvo.  The battleship is centered over a yellow V, surrounded by the red letter O.  The squadron was split between more than one battleship, the only difference was that as in this case that portion of the squadron assigned to U.S. West Virginia was designated VO-4B.  The principle function of observation aircraft was to observe and report the strike of the main gun projectiles, to correct the fire.

The other interesting feature of this item is the signatures applied to the reverse, which presumably was the aviators and enlisted sailors assigned to VO-4B.  In the lower right the squadron commander provided the information when the insignia was approved and signed it.  All the names were written in pencil and without a roster difficult to make out.  I can't even make out if my uncle's name was included.

The image of the Curtis SOC-1 is a generic file copy and has nothing to do with the fabric piece that is the subject of this post.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:38:06 PM by alibi »

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: USN aircraft insignia
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
Real history...a terrific artefact. Thanks for posting it here.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline littlebuddy

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
Wow !!!!
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 07:20:05 PM »
Double Wow!

BannerFans.com