BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Eagle Squadron Photo?  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Eagle Squadron Photo?
« on: March 25, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
Carl was pretty quick on the draw with my last item mystery so let's see how this one goes. I recently acquired this photo from an Ebay auction, and it poses a bit of a mystery to me. No name on reverse and there is some damage, as the photo was folded to fit into a smaller frame. I have been a collector of Eagle Squadron and 4th Fighter Group items for quite a few years now, so had an interest in this photo because of the patch on the gentleman's A-2 jacket.  Picture looks like the often seen aviation cadet graduation photo we have all encountered.    If it's a graduation photo why would he be wearing an A-2 with what seems to be an E.S./ 4th FG patch?  He's not any Eagle Squadron member that I can recognize (but of course I have not seen photos of them all).  Borrowed jacket?  Studio prop? Relative/Brother's jacket?  I know the definitive answer is probably not out there but am interested it other's thoughts or theories.  I also posted this on the "other" forum, many hits but not yet a single reply.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:43:03 PM by Scarecrow »

Offline littlebuddy

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
Re: Eagle Squadron Photo?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:46:19 PM »
Interesting to say the least Paul  :-\
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline littlebuddy

• FORUM MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
Looking again at the photo Paul , strange looking flight helmet  ??? But the Goggles either AN6530 or B7's .
I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's a prop for the studio  :-\

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:28:39 PM by littlebuddy »
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
Curiouser and curiouser! Very interesting...I think I'd be inclined to agree with Carl.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »
Curiouser and curiouser! Very interesting...I think I'd be inclined to agree with Carl.

Carl, Ian,

Thanks for your thoughts.  The studio prop angle was my most likely theory also.  Boy would I love to find that jacket!

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »
At best a kid brother of an ES vet that wore the patch on an A2 for the photo when he graduated primary flight training.  But you'd have to think the studio prop is a good bet too. 

BannerFans.com