BannerFans.com

Author Topic: U.S. Navy commerative plaque  (Read 1135 times)

Offline alibi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
U.S. Navy commerative plaque
« on: March 09, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
The plaque image here was painted by my father in the 1960s.  I remember seeing similar plaques in the wardrooms of some of the ships I visited and the offices of Navy officers.  I assume these plaques would be of collector interest but I've never seen an example for sale anywhere.

My father discharged from the Navy in 1945 and went into Navy Civil Service as a Letterer and Grainer.  He painted signs (letterer) and could make something not made of wood look like wood (grainer).  Most of the furnishing on U.S. Navy ships were metal and my father was kept busy graining chairs for the admiral and captain areas.  However he was involved with all kinds of projects that involved paints and other applied materials.

This plaque was brought to my father to paint and apparently the intention was to have him paint the whole lot once the colors were approved.  As an experiment my father applied gold leaf to the right half of this sample plaque, and you can see the difference between the left half with gold paint and the right half with gold leaf.  Two problems arose with this project, the first was it would have taken my father too long to paint the number required, and second the number of waves was supposed to represent something significant and was incorrect.  So the project went back to the molders to recast the plaques with the correct number of waves.  The waves were not only recast but the style of the waves was changed to something that looked more like oscilloscope waves.  My father painted a sample of the recast plaque, and the painting was contracted to an outfit that had a number of spray painters and could produce the plaques on an assembly line.

I have to say I do not know what the significance of the plaque is.  The figure of King Neptune with trident and the nuclear symbol suggest the project had something to do with testing the submarine launched nuclear Trident missile.  JTF is Joint Task Force and the "NAVY TASK FORCE" at the top seems redundant.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 3
Re: U.S. Navy commerative plaque
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
Alibi,

Joint Task Force 8 was part of Operation Dominic which conducted atmospheric nuclear testing from April to November 1962 in the Pacific.

Here is a picture of one of the Command Plaques from Op. Dominic.

I think the one you have that your dad worked on is incredible and possibly a one of a kind item..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

BannerFans.com