BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Really neat painted footlocker  (Read 1533 times)

Offline ScottG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 11
Really neat painted footlocker
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:27:26 PM »
  This came in today from one of the volunteers. The artwork is really great and our museum President was able to actually research and speak with the veterans Son who now resides in Wisconsin. Looks like more items will come from the two Sons. The unit is the 260th Coast Artillery/AAA. The veteran was a marine in the 30s and he got out because he wanted to go overseas and they weren't sending him. He joined the army and the Son believes he was in the battle for Normandy, but also spoke about him serving in the Pacific? So, I haven't found anything yet on the battalion, but it should prove interesting.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Really neat painted footlocker
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 12:42:14 AM »
Another great "human" piece Scott. Can you maybe post close-ups of the individual insignias sometime?  Thanks!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:54:21 AM »
Scott,

The March 17, 1941 issue of Life Magazine has a great article about the 260th C.A. unit moving from Washington, D.C. to El Paso, Texas...I have not done any research on the unit but the curator of the ADA museum up at Ft Sill, John Bernstein may be able to help you..

Smitty

https://books.google.com/books?id=_0kEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA118&lpg=PA118&dq=260th+coast+artillery&source=bl&ots=n_XZOvpX7n&sig=UzZrfA1ltNwkE1mcbT6K7pyoCGw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj63PT_pY3SAhVCPiYKHexpC_IQ6AEIVjAO#v=onepage&q=260th%20coast%20artillery&f=false
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
   Ian, I will get some more pics on Wed. when I am working at the museum. Glad you like it and thanks! 

Smitty, that is an awesome article and I will have to keep my eyes open for that issue! I will reach out to the curator and see what I can find of the 260ths overseas service. Thanks again Brother!  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 06:58:35 AM »
Scott,

Here is some more information I found in the book "Blazing Skies" Air Defense Artillery, Fort Bliss, Texas 1940-2009 By John A Hamilton. John by the way is the Director of the 1st Armored Division Museum now at Fort Bliss..

Here is a PDF that highlights some of the 260th information when they were here at Fort Bliss. I also looked in the 1941 Louisiana Maneuver Book however I could not find anything related to the unit.

The only other book that I know of that may have some information is Shelby Stanton's WW2 Order of Battle. I have a copy at home so I will look in there later when I get home.

Smitty

"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 09:03:36 PM »
   That is great info Smitty! I have Stanton's books on WWII and Vietnam so will be looking there for the oversea's assignments.   Thanks! Scott

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:53:31 PM »
Thats a  trunk Scott

Looking forward to the up dates and other donations from the sons
Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

BannerFans.com