BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Let's hear it for Mel Gibson!  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Let's hear it for Mel Gibson!
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:35:01 AM »
Hacksaw Ridge is up for Best Movie and Mel Gibson is up for Best Director in the 2017 Academy Awards.  If it was down to me, they'd win both categories...hands down!

Yes...last night I went to see Hacksaw Ridge which has just opened here in the UK, so we're a couple of months behind the US. To be honest, it blew me away ( no pun intended!)  What a wonderful story and all the more remarkable because it's true!  What a hero Desmond Doss was. Than man had both the courage of his convictions and physical courage in the face of great personal danger too!  A worthy winner of the Medal of Honor, if ever there was one.

The movie is superbly staged, filmed, acted and directed.  Andrew Garfield gives a great performance as Doss and Vince Vaughan does a great job as the Drill Sergeant everyone loves to hate!

We were all probably speechless, like me,  when we first saw the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan which, at the time, raised the bar in terms of combat realism in the movies. However, time has moved on, and the battle for Hacksaw Ridge complete with Banzai Charge takes combat realism to a whole new level! It is an absolutely stunning realization of what it must have been like...the sights, the sounds, the fear....the blood.  I'm bound to say that if you can't handle the sight of blood and gore then this movie definitely isn't for you!

I'm a self-confessed "stitch counter" when it comes to war movies, but I have to say there's very little to complain about in this movie in regard to the uniforms, weaponry and equipment. The rifle company wears HBTs throughout, whilst the NCOs and officers wear summer khakis, complete with appropriate 77th ID insignia. ( Even the M1 helmets were also appropriately stencilled)  If I was being nit-picky I'd say that the members of the company Doss shares a barracks room with during Basic Training  perhaps looked just a tad too old, as by then most draftees were typically 18-21 years of age.

Overall then...a great movie which honours a very brave...but very modest man...who served his country with distinction. I'm looking forward to the dvd release already!  ;)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
Re: Let's hear it for Mel Gibson!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:17:52 PM »
   Well said Ian and I too loved the movie. In terms of stitch counting, I opined on the USMF about the helmets. To me, the fact that they had to source a large amount of M-1 helmets and then took the time to add the stenciling of the 77th Div spoke volumes. Some members complained about the grenade pin pulling with the teeth, and the helmets, but I give kudos to the props department. They never claimed they were making the most technically accurate war movie ever made. Instead, I believe they focused on Doss and the absolute carnage and horror that was the Maeda Escarpment in 1945, and it came through loud and clear. My Wife is generally not moved by war films like me, but I do look forward to showing this film to her when the dvd is released. I think she will love the story.    Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Let's hear it for Mel Gibson!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:57:19 PM »
   Well said Ian and I too loved the movie. In terms of stitch counting, I opined on the USMF about the helmets. To me, the fact that they had to source a large amount of M-1 helmets and then took the time to add the stenciling of the 77th Div spoke volumes. Some members complained about the grenade pin pulling with the teeth, and the helmets, but I give kudos to the props department. They never claimed they were making the most technically accurate war movie ever made. Instead, I believe they focused on Doss and the absolute carnage and horror that was the Maeda Escarpment in 1945, and it came through loud and clear. My Wife is generally not moved by war films like me, but I do look forward to showing this film to her when the dvd is released. I think she will love the story.    Scott

Hi Scott. My wife actually came to see the movie with me ( watching war movies is an occupational hazard she accepts!)  Whilst she enjoyed the "civilian" part of the story, she found the ensuing battle scenes to be a bit too realistic. More than once I caught her closing her eyes or looking away from the screen. Can't say I blame her as it was pretty gruesome!  :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 11:00:19 PM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com