BannerFans.com

Author Topic: "The Medal Detective"  (Read 7440 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
Re: "The Medal Detective"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:08:32 AM »
I admire the man's effort and his sence of duty, however I am not at all happy with his critique of collectors.
He has his cause, and we have our sence of history.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
It will soon be against the law to buy and sell Purple Hearts, just like the MOH, thanks to the PC crusaders. Stand by.

KTB&D
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 01:39:41 PM »
It will soon be against the law to buy and sell Purple Hearts, just like the MOH, thanks to the PC crusaders. Stand by.
KTB&D

I don't think Donald will sign such a bill that would include collectors. I think much like Stolen Valor, the law will focus on those that abuse the system.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline Jerry BB

• Referrals: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 02:25:15 AM »
I appreciate his respect for the medal and his efforts to return them to the family ,but not his attempts to have the sale of such banned.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »
   The problem with his proposed bill as I see it is that it will make it illegal to sell a PH. On the surface that may be a noble undertaking, but if I am the recipient of said medal, and I decide I want to sell it, no matter my reasons, it is after all mine to sell. While Fike does a great job returning these to family members, I wonder how many were actually sold, trashed, or given away by the very same family? Fike doesn't like to answer that question.
   As a side note. I have a relative (SSG Rolly Gerych) who was in the 172nd Infantry Regiment and was KIA in WWII. While researching the details of his death I contacted the current 172nd in Vermont to see what resources they had available regarding his death. I was referred to their full time AGR officer (then Capt Fike). He did nothing, researched nothing, and basically told me I was on my own.... Some detective!
   Perhaps there was no info to be had, but I think if you are going to present yourself as a caring researcher, then you need to walk the walk. My relative was in his unit and was KIA, he could have done a search, I am a fellow soldier, perhaps that may be a reason to help? I wanted to know more about my soldier relative, which is what he claims he helps with. Unfortunately no medal or political agenda was involved to elevate the profile of my research, so Fike brushed me off. He didn't even offer the NARA website or address....    Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

BannerFans.com