BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Falklands War Argentinian helmet, ‘Batallón Antiaéreo (BIAA)’.  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Tug1970

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Falklands War Argentinian helmet, ‘Batallón Antiaéreo (BIAA)’.

Regimiento de Artillería Antiaérea Nº 1

Firstly I’d like to apologise for the photographs, these were from the original seller and unfortunately all my kit is boxed at the moment!  But, as I’ve been otherwise preoccupied for some time I thought I’d put something together for the greater good!! 

This helmet was recovered from the many piles of equipment left behind at Port Stanley shortly after the Argentinian surrender.  Interestingly the steel shell is marked with a MEDIC red cross which has been applied using vinc-oxide tape and a red marker, I wonder if this was applied after the surrender whilst helping the British with the wounded etc.

The Falklands veteran was at the time serving with Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) attached to ‘T’ Battery (Shah Sujah's Troop) 12th Regiment Royal Artillery. 

He left Plymouth aboard LSL (Landing ship logistic) Sir Geraint of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary in April 1982 sailing down to Ascension Island where they steamed around for a couple of days, in his own words "to let the politicians work things out"!

Having failed to "work things out" they then sailed to San Carlos water where he then flew by helicopter to shore on San Carlos Settlement in the middle of May.

He was with the Rapier surface-to-air missile defence section and so immediately set up missile launch stations. His time there was roughly a week whilst they set everything up and dug in against continual daylight airstrikes.

Following this he went to Fitzroy by helicopter where he would take on responsibility for the repair and mechanical equipment of the Rapier surface-to-air missile launchers.

Following the surrender on 14th June, he flew to Port Stanley a few days later and recovered this helmet from "a pile of soldiers equipment that had been abandoned hastily".

In the coming weeks he would travel back to Ascension Island by ship before finally returning by aeroplane, via Dakar in West Africa for a fuel-stop, to RAF Waddington in early August.

The soldiers name written on the leather sweat band reads "AGUERO 477506" possibly could be 477508, hard to say for sure. 

I did get some conflicting information from some Falklands collectors both British and Argentinian which I will add here.

"The writing in the shell B1AA means that it was from Batallón de Infantería de Marina 5 abreiviated to BIM5 who fought against the Scotts Guards at Tumbledown and wireless ridge.  BIAA was the Battalion Infanteria anti aircraft unit who were stationed near Moody Brook barracks. 
There were 4 x BIM5 personnel who served with the name Aguero.    AGUERO NESTOR JOSE ALFREDO and AGUERO JUAN CARLOS both Cabo Segundo, Corporal second class.  Then there were 2 x BIM5 anti-aircraft artillery members, Cabo Principla, Principal Corporal AGUERO FELIX OSVALDO and Conscript AGUERO CAESAR RAMON".

Another fella thinks that the helmet would be BIM 1 Battalion Infanteria Anti Aero.  If so that would narrow it down to AGUERO CAESAR RAMON or AGUERO FELIX OSVALDO.

Just for your information Moody Brook was the barracks of the Naval Party 8901, Royal Marines on the islands.

In this picture you can see the accomodation block on left, galley and store in the centre and the signals room/officer/sgt mess and accommodation on the right.  It was the first target of attack by the Argentinians on the morning of April 2nd and the rooms were systematically destroyed by grenades in a text book example of house clearing. It was later claimed by the Argentinians that orders had been given to not harm anyone on the islands during the invasion. Whilst this was possibly true for the civilian population, the evidence at Moody Brook suggests that this instruction was not intended to be applied to the Royal Marine defenders. Fortunately, there were no Royal Marines in the building as it was attacked as they had all taken up defensive positions.

The bottles of Task Force Ale (Newcastle Brown Ale) were given to the troops on the Ascension Islands, not sure is any actually made it to the Falkland Islands or not.  Also included are a few other pick-ups this veteran brought home with him.

I hope you found the thread of interest despite the quality of the photographs and the fact that the previous own put the liner in back to front........thought I'd get that in just in case!!  ;D

Lets hope this guy doesn't come after me ay Tom E Gunn!!  ???

Brgds,
Tug  ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:39:41 PM by Tug1970 »
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline David

Re: Falklands War Argentinian helmet, ‘Batallón Antiaéreo (BIAA)’.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 04:59:03 PM »
Another very interesting helmet very well presented. Thanks Tug.
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline Tug1970

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »
Another very interesting helmet very well presented. Thanks Tug.

Thanks for looking David, nice to see you again.

Tug  ;)
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline David

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 06:56:06 PM »
Likewise mate ;)
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:42:54 PM »
   Another beauty Tug and a great bit of research and history to boot. Thanks for continuing to share the items from this war.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »
Another quality thread. Thanks for taking the time Tug!

Ian  ;)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ccfc

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 02:09:31 AM »
Really nice
You see very few Falklands items, it's very refreshing.

Great to have the history also.

Really good thread

Lee

BannerFans.com