BannerFans.com

Author Topic: B-25 bombardier, 340th BG, 12th AF MTO  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
B-25 bombardier, 340th BG, 12th AF MTO
« on: December 16, 2016, 09:58:24 PM »
A while back I finally let myself get a full sized GI Joe for the flight gear I've gathered the last few years.  This is the latest update, which is the 4th time he's changed gear.  It's built around the B-10 jacket of F/O David Cruise Jr, who was a bombardier with the 340th BG in late 44-45.  The jacket was a bit beaten up and it took me a while to get it restored back to how it would have looked in 1945 but I'm happy with it.  The original patches were torn and worn, so I had them carefully taken off so I could preserve them and had replacements done to go in their place.  The name tag had been ripped off leaving a hole as well but I was able to get that fixed with a new tag as well.

He's got an F-3 suit underneath the B-10 and A-9 flight pants.  The boots are A-6A and the gloves are F-2s over the silk/nylon inserts.  It's an A-11 with an A-14 mask and B-8 goggles along with a scarf to keep out the cold.  The glasses and their case also belonged to F/O Cruise.

The inspiration for the look came from this photo of an old friend, T/S Bob Haws, a B-24 top turret gunner I got to know back in the 90s while researching his crew that went down on February 14, 1945 over Vienna.  He and 4 others survived with 7 of the crew (a 12 man lead crew) dying after the flak shell burst in the cockpit killing both pilots.  I've included the POW photo of Bob as well to show the scarf still in place after his capture.  In the photo of him in flight gear you can see in the background T/S Earle Kulhanek also dressed the same with his F-2 gloves still in place.  Earle was the youngest in the crew and died in the crash.

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
Re: B-25 bombardier, 340th BG, 12th AF MTO
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 02:17:09 AM »
Great set up Dan and such a sad story regarding Earl and the rest of the crew .
The mannequin has a great pose to it !! Where did you get that from ?? I want one !! :)
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
Yanks Manniquins

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 01:06:16 AM »
Ate they easy to dress up Dan ? Do the limbs move etc ?  do you have a chute harness for him ?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 01:07:32 AM by littlebuddy »
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 10:45:44 AM »
No harness yet.  The mannequin comes in five pieces, arms legs and main body.  ive not had any issues getting him in and out of different set ups.  In time I'll probably get one more standing so I can display the USAAF used RAF gear too showing the differences.

Offline littlebuddy

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:20:26 AM »
No harness yet.  The mannequin comes in five pieces, arms legs and main body.  ive not had any issues getting him in and out of different set ups.  In time I'll probably get one more standing so I can display the USAAF used RAF gear too showing the differences.

That will look great Dan !  im going to be in contact with YANKS to inquire about shipping etc . I like the sitting down version ,but i dont have the space , so i was thinking about the one thats "looking up " ??  Thoughts ??

Offline Guppy35

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »
I thought about that guy, but couldn't get past how silly it would look to have him staring at the ceiling 😀

My room is really small but my airman sits in my grandpa's old captains chair in front of some book shelves. As mentioned I may try and add a standing pilot as well.  The room will just feel a bit smaller 😀

BannerFans.com