BannerFans.com

Author Topic: United Daughters of the Confederacy Cross of Military Service  (Read 867 times)

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
United Daughters of the Confederacy Cross of Military Service
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:08:12 PM »
I am wondering how many (if any) people on this forum have an interest in the United Daughters of the Confederacy Cross of Military Service decorations.

For those that are not familiar with this decoration, check this link out:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi9kPHn7IrQAhWg2YMKHThDB3UQFghDMAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cantiniere.org%2FCantinieres_UDC%2FMilitary_Crosses.html&usg=AFQjCNE1X2N-jrNDVNKgxc5znXrEPqTMgw&sig2=QAuX2zbjLfYVp1OGBCVvoA

I have been researching these Crosses of Military Service for some time.  Each cross is individually numbered.  Unfortunately, the UDC didn't bother to keep track of the recipients by cross number.

The UDC published a book in 1927 that listed the World War I recipients up to that point.

I have subsequently discovered that these CMS decorations were managed at the UDC Chapter level, so the UDC national organization doesn't have any of these records.  I have located old UDC records in the Library of Virginia, Emory University Library, Auburn University Library, and even a library in Stockton, California.  These old records were donated to local libraries / historical societies by the various chapters.

Anyway, to the point of my question....

A few years ago I compiled a list of recipients of the UDC Cross of Military Service for the various conflicts that UDC recognizes.  That list was made a sticky on another militaria forum.

I have located a large collection of old UDC records, so I am updating my list.  I have CMS records for WWI recipients from about 5800 to about 8100 (CMS #),  WWI crosses before that were published by the UDC, and are part of my existing list.

I have also located records for recipients of the CMS for the Spanish American War, the Philippines Insurrection, the World War I miniature CMS, as well as about 2400 additional WWI CMS recipients.

I convert my list to a pdf file, and would be happy to supply a copy for posting on this site, if you all are interested.

It will take me a while to get the updates in place, but I can provide what I have now, and then provide an updated version later.

Thoughts?

BannerFans.com