BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Guadalcanal bringback group- Seabee attached to the 3rd MarDiv  (Read 1650 times)

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Guadalcanal bringback group- Seabee attached to the 3rd MarDiv
« on: October 31, 2016, 09:06:01 AM »
I thought I'd show off my latest purchase. These items belonged to Lawrence Kent, who served with the 25th Naval Construction Battalion as a heavy equipment operator. Kent was transferred to the 21st Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division in January 1943, and sailed with them to Guadalcanal in June of that year. He also landed on Guam in August 1944 with the 3rd MarDiv. Towards the end of the war he was transferred back to the 25th NCB. He served with the 3rd MarDiv from January 1943 to January 1945.

It seems he was a souvenir hunter, as he salvaged metal from a downed Japanese Zero and fashioned a watch band out of it. He engraved his name, "Guadalcanal 1943", and "Jap zero metal" on it (the watch is long gone). He also pulled the spec plate from probably the same Japanese Zero, which another forum member translated for me and said it was a March 1941 production Zero. Also included is a very rusted and pitted Japanese dog tag, presumably from Guadalcanal but could also be from Guam. Lastly are Kent's own dog tags, which are interesting as they are stamped in the USMC format (last name, first and middle initials), certainly stamped while he was serving wit the 3rd Marine Division. I really love this group!

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Guadalcanal bringback group- Seabee attached to the 3rd MarDiv
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »
This is a cool group. It shows a great example of the simple things that men brought back home this them. Can the name of the Japanese soldier be made out on the dog tag?
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
  Nice group! Love those Pacific items.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:40:12 PM »
Thanks gents! JS, in the tags current condition I can't make out much. Aside from the heavy rust, it is quite pitted too. Which brings me to a dilemma; I initially did not want to attempt to clean off the rust because I'd hate to get rid of the patina, BUT, how incredible would it be to find out the unit information this Japanese soldier was attached to?

I've used a vinegar soak and scrub with aluminum foil in the past with great results. What do you guys think?
Phil

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »
Phil....my thought was to clean it enough to try and return it to the family.....softy, I know!
Other then that motive, I would be extremely care not the damage the tag in any way. I will leave it to others to suggest a solution. Perhaps you can consult with member....USDOG.

Good luck!
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

BannerFans.com