BannerFans.com

Author Topic: M1 helmet bands.  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
M1 helmet bands.
« on: October 07, 2016, 02:22:14 PM »
This colourised photo is captioned as being taken on Guam in July 1944...they are US Marines. Note the early use of what appears to be GI issue neoprene helmet camo bands on their M1s. Such bands were usually issued with "shrimp net" covers. It's unusual to see WW2 US Marines without their distinctive camo covers on their helmets!?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:29:29 PM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline alibi

• Referrals: 0
Re: M1 helmet bands.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 10:41:28 AM »
The helmets without camouflage covers, as you pointed out does suggest other than Marines.  The bands were sometimes taken from sources like cut up inner tubes, which case the bands on the helmets in the image should have been colorized black.  In any case of the colorization is inaccurate it may be misleading as to what the bands were.  The hospitalman bolo carried by the gunner was a Marine Corps issue item, however the color of the scabbard was dark brown and probably just colorized improperly.  I can't make out the packs but if colorized correctly do appear to be the Marine Corps pattern 1941 pack system.  As an alternative to Marines perhaps C.B.s? 

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »
I hear what you say...the info I supplied was lifted directly from the caption. Here's the same pic which I've de-colourised back to something like it was originally for the purposes of comparison.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 06:53:19 AM »
My guess, helmets simply had the band on them when issued.

That's a USMC Bolo knife in the picture.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

BannerFans.com