BannerFans.com

Author Topic: War movies....real to reel.  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
War movies....real to reel.
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:13:29 PM »
A new exhibition at the IWM ( Imperial War Museum)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-36529099#5
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline David

• Referrals: 0
Re: War movies....real to reel.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:10 AM »
Looks like yet another great exhibition at the IWM. A mix of my two great passions, militaria and cinema ;)

I spent a full day there once and what a museum. Outstanding! ;D
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline nimsiemilitaria

• Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:48:56 AM »
Since the remodelling of the museum it's not as good as it used to be. First World War exhibit is good but a lot of the things you go to museums to see, ie stuff that was actually there, have been removed.
The IWM has imo gone 'Arty' and has lost some of its grass roots by going too interactive which I can do on my iPad ar home. :'(

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:40:22 AM »
Since the remodelling of the museum it's not as good as it used to be. First World War exhibit is good but a lot of the things you go to museums to see, ie stuff that was actually there, have been removed.
The IWM has imo gone 'Arty' and has lost some of its grass roots by going too interactive which I can do on my iPad ar home. :'(

I know what you mean Nimsie. This trend is not peculiar to the IWM either...I've observed it in other museums too (and not necessarily military museums) I'd much rather see a battered old helmet which survived D-Day rather than take a "virtual ride" in a landing craft, any day of the week!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ccfc

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
Often wondered what happened to these types of movie props

The ones that spring to my mind are Robert Shaw's Panzer suit from Battle of the Bulge and Michael Caine's uniform from Zulu

I read recently that Steve McQueen's jacket from the Great Escape was in a Japanese collection.

Clint Eastwood is apparently a huge collector of Third Reich militaria and I believed he had his Where Eagles Dare uniform in his own collection?? Probably one of those rumours like the one that he was Stan Laurels son!

Probably a good topic for another thread - What would be the most desirable piece of movie militaria

Lee

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 02:18:48 AM »
Every war movie spawns a host of props which are actively collected by movie buffs and militaria collectors alike. Most recently it was "Fury" with tanker jackets popping up all over the place ( all "original" of course!) The same thing occurred in the wake of "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" too. It can be a bit of a minefield so it's really a case of caveat emptor...provenance is everything!
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com