BannerFans.com

Author Topic: How hard would it be.....  (Read 4334 times)

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Re: How hard would it be.....
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »
I would bet that the information on the stone is correct, but that's all your going to get for a loooong time.
JS, Why do you say that?  Are you thinking classified ops?
I may see what I can find about this Marine using the Vietnam Research link that was posted earlier.

Yes I do Ed. Black Ops are buried deep in the dark recesses of the government records.

I echo this statement.  I've seen a DD214 of a Marine that doesn't show the he served in VN but his family knows he did.  His service has always been a sensitive subject.

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 02:44:57 PM »
Guys, I hear you, and I understand what you are saying.

My limited experiences with "classified ops" personnel is that even the head stones did not have indications of "anything related to classified operations, including awards".

If this guy really was involved in classified operations, and received awards for those classified operations, and those operations are still classified, I seriously doubt they would be indicated on the headstone.  But I can certainly be wrong about that.

Let's face it, a Navy Cross is a big deal (2nd highest award).  Those don't slip through the cracks.

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »
This guy enlisted in 1958, so 1978 would have been 20 years (minimum retirement years of service).  And he may have served longer than that.

The belief is that there are no longer any classified decorations from the Vietnam War or before (Restoring Valor: One Couple's Mission to Expose Fraudulent War Heroes and Protect America's Military Awards System, Doug Sterner, 2014)

There are some classified decorations for operations since in the wars on Iraq and Afghanistan (post 2001).

BannerFans.com