photo bannerfans_11430117_zps8b63cb2d.gif

Author Topic: How hard would it be.....  (Read 4335 times)

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
How hard would it be.....
« on: June 15, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
... to find out something about a Marine with this kind of award record.

Yes, the name is withheld on purpose.

If I read this right, this Gunnery Sergeant served in Vietnam, was awarded the Navy Cross, 3 Silver Stars (SS & 2 GS = Gold Star), and 3 Purple Hearts (PH & 2 GS = Gold Star).

I know the name, and have searched all over the internet and Ancestry, and I got nothing.

FYI:  Enlisted in 1958.

Thoughts?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:01:33 AM by emccomas »

Offline nimsiemilitaria

Re: How hard would it be.....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 12:17:35 PM »
If you won't share the name, we can't help you.

This headstone is in a public cemetery, right ?

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
In order to receive the headstone, a DD-214 would have had to be produced. You can inquire at the government cemetery in which hi is buried.
THE ALLIED MILITARIA FORUM...... "The freedom forum"!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
I am not asking if anyone can find the info of this Marine.  I am asking if this information, along with the name, would / should turn up something about the Marine's service / awards/ etc.

As best I can determine, this guy enlisted in 1958.  I cannot determine when he left the service, but I figure he had to be in for a while to make Gunnery Sergeant.

Let me put it this way, I cannot find ANY information regarding ANY of the awards listed on the headstone.  The last name is uncommon enough that it should be a pretty easy search.

NADA, but I also have some information that he was also awarded the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

FL pointed out that the DD-214 would have to be produced to get the headstone.  I assume the DD-214 would have the awards listed, or they would not have gotten on the headstone?

I will reveal the name a bit later.  Right now ask yourself, and share your thoughts, on how someone with this record doesn't show up anywhere.

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »

Right now ask yourself, and share your thoughts, on how someone with this record doesn't show up anywhere.

Ed.....I have a close friend that was in the Marine Special Forces in VN. He was sent out at night and used his knife to kill, he had to return with the "ears" of his kills....as many as twelve a night.
After I gained access to Marine Corps file, I tried to get his files. The same information that I supplied the researchers gave me plenty of information, but NOTHING about him.
He was part of the black ops, and the Corps had his files locked down. If it was not for my personal contact with Jerry, I would not know this information.

Is this the reason you cannot find any information, I don't know.

Jerry spent two years in therapy, and has an (800) number to call if he "freaks out". He is a keg ready to go off. I try to help when I can, but he is beyond repair.

Does this help?
THE ALLIED MILITARIA FORUM...... "The freedom forum"!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
First of all to don't trust what the US Gov't tells you.  I also know of a VN Marine whose DD 214 doesn't tell the whole story and it is not the result of a clerk making a mistake.  The Black World is real.

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 08:57:52 AM »
Stone should have been engraved Navy Cross, Silver Star and Purple Heart, in that order.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
OK, here is the whole thing.  The Marine is buried at Fort Snelling National Cemetery in Minnesota.  He is from the Saint Cloud, MN area.

I cannot find ANYTHING about this guy ever having received a Navy Cross, Silver Star(s), or Purple Heart(s).

I did find some info that someone with this name MAY have been awarded the Navy Distinguished Service Medal in the Vietnam era time frame.

Classified operations not withstanding, how hard would it be to find out what this guy was really up to that got him a Navy Cross.

According to Ancesrty, he enlisted in 1958, did basic at Camp Pendelton, CA, and then served in Hawaii.  But I cannot find anything dated after 1958.

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
I would bet that the information on the stone is correct, but that's all your going to get for a loooong time.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 04:37:52 AM »
I would bet that the information on the stone is correct, but that's all your going to get for a loooong time.

JS, Why do you say that?  Are you thinking classified ops?

I may see what I can find about this Marine using the Vietnam Research link that was posted earlier.

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 09:38:30 AM »
Been searching all morning...found this interesting bit on Ancesty. Appears he may have had an alias; that, or SS has the wrong info. Doesn't help the search, but ads another layer to the mystery.

In any case, according to the below record, he was also known as Stoney R Johnson, which matches the surname of his father:

Only record I can find matching this name is a Public Record for a fella living in Ammon, ID, who shares the same DOB. No other records for this fella (a ghost):

Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 10:57:35 AM »
I have a pre-WW2 Marine Good Conduct Medal in my collection to a man that changed his name.

Can make research very difficult.

K

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
JS, Why do you say that?  Are you thinking classified ops?
I may see what I can find about this Marine using the Vietnam Research link that was posted earlier.

Yes I do Ed. Black Ops are buried deep in the dark recesses of the government records.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 02:19:06 PM »
I have a pre-WW2 Marine Good Conduct Medal in my collection to a man that changed his name.

Can make research very difficult.

K

This must be a Marine Corps thing. I have a grouping to USMC Col who enlisted during WWII, and continued service through Vietnam. I couldn't find him in any of the muster rolls during WWII, only post. I knew, however, that  he served during WWII based on his IDPF. Come to find out he changed his name after WWII.
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

BannerFans.com