BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Appropriate medal for this' type of action?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Appropriate medal for this' type of action?
« on: June 11, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »
OK, I want to start out by saying that I am not insensitive to the feelings about this topic, and I realize that all of the facts are not yet in.

I am not talking specifically about Capt Jeff Kuss, the Marine Blue Angle pilot that recently crashed during training flight in Smyrna, TN area.  I am talking more in general terms about a situation that appears to be similar to what transpired with Capt Kuss.

OK, so let us assume that a military pilot in a training flight (or any other flight for that matter) has a problem with his aircraft.  The pilot has the opportunity to eject, and makes the conscious decision not to eject because the aircraft is over a populated area.  The pilot instead decides to remain with the aircraft and attempt a crash landing away from populated areas.  The pilot is killed in this attempt, but no one else is harmed.

Assuming these are determined to be the actual facts, what sort of military decoration is appropriate in a case like thisy
Lets us also assume that we are talking about a Marine pilot, so the Navy decorations are appropriate (as opposed to the Army or Air Force).

So, we are looking at a set of circumstances where a Marine aviator was killed in a situation not involving enemy action, and took specific steps to protect the lives of others, thereby jeopardizing his own life.

Many of you have seen / read of similar actions involving aviators.  What sort of decoration, if any, would be considered appropriate.

Again, this is a philosophical discussion, and not specifically directed toward any specific action.  I mention Capt Kuss only because his situation seems to be similar to what I was wondering about.

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Appropriate medal for this' type of action?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »
I lived near Marimar Naval Air Station as a younger person. This kind of accident occurred several times that I remember. The aviator took his plane out of harms way and died in the crash. I never thought to find what, if any award was given to the pilot, as he sacrificed his life to save many others.
Today, I am more aware of military procedures. Although the Navy will do what the Navy does, I believe the pilot would at least be awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal.

This is my opinion.
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »
Ed....
On this forum you do not have to preface you thought or question. This is the "Freedom Forum", your membership gives you the right to express yourself.
THE ALLIED MILITARIA FORUM...... "The freedom forum"!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 09:57:53 PM »
I'd award him the DFC and the Navy Marine Medal.

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »
I was also thinking the Navy and Marine Corps Medal "fits" this sort of situation.

This is the question and thread that got things stirred up on the other forum, even though I "explained and qualified" the question ahead of time.  I have nothing but profound respect for the actions of Capt Kuss, and all of the aviators that have to make this difficult decision.

While I am thinking about it, isn't this similar to the plot at the end of the move "The Great Santini".  I seem to recall that Robert Duvall's character was killed in a similar fashion, but is has been a while since I saw that movie.

BannerFans.com