BannerFans.com

Author Topic: My Great Grandfathers  (Read 2562 times)

Offline ccfc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 1
My Great Grandfathers
« on: June 05, 2016, 03:49:00 AM »
Hello Chaps
I sent a picture of these to a fellow member the other day and thought I'd share.

This is my Great Grandfathers Group.

I've obscured the name as they're on my side of the family and (I know it's a long shot) but I know of instances where posting family groups has started all sorts of claims and disputes.

He was in WW1 with the Border Regiment.

He received one MC for regrouping a squad after a first unsuccessful attempt to take a machine gun wiped out all the other officers. They then took that post on the second attempt. I can't remember if it was in a letter or a book, but this action was described as worthy of a VC, but as it wasn't witnessed by two officers, he got the MC.
Another was for "Staying Calm" and organising retreating troops under artillery fire. These are gazetted.

The third is a mystery despite many hours in fact days of research.

Interestingly, in one of his diaries, he was in Egypt prior to or early WW1 and there is a note on a particular date which he's written "MC"

We've come to the conclusion that his first gazetted MC was actually his second and his second was actually his third (if that makes any sense)

Interesting chap though. My dad currently has these, but I hope to become the custodian one day.

Hope you like them

Lee

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: My Great Grandfathers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:19:34 AM »
That's a very interesting grouping Lee. I'm the proud custodian of my paternal grandfather's WW1 medals.

Ian
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 09:09:20 AM »
I'm glad the family has them and thank you for showing them to us.

Offline Tug1970

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »
Great post Lee, very interesting and a fine heritage.

Tug  ;)
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline littlebuddy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • USAAF SPOKEN HERE 24/7 365
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
First time i have known the relative of such an award as the MC , feeling very honoured indeed !

LB
2018 and STILL WANTED! a pair of RAF 1940 Patt boots and RAF life vest
Always looking for quality condition USAAF stationary,ephemera,equipment and clothing.
Starting to look for the harder to find items e.g. survival kits and items also woukd like to add a complete "Gibson Girl " set up
We are here for the collectors, not for profit. (PERIOD!)

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »
Can you tell us more of his history?  I'm intrigued with the Waziristan Medal/

Offline ccfc

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
He was born in 1876 and joined the Border Regiment in 1894 under a false name. He was 18 then, so not sure why he did that.

We know he was in India for eight years. During that time the British Indian Army camp at Wana in Waziristan was attacked by two thousand Mahsud tribesmen. The Border Regiment were there as part of the Waziristan Field Force.

He also served in Gallipoli and France. Not much known about the details, but we found out where he was.

He appears to be attached to both the 1st and 2nd Border Regiment and later went to the Worcester Regiment.
It's not been easy to find out a lot of details as he also had two service numbers. His medals have both service numbers on them.

Unfortunately my nan knew very little about his military career as he never spoke of it and he died penniless.

Glad you guys like them anyway

Lee

Offline David

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 07:29:24 PM »
Great post Lee, very interesting and a fine heritage.

Tug  ;)

I concur.
Military Cross x3!, Mentioned in Despatches, Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and he made it through India, Gallipoli and France. One hell of a fine heritage!  :)
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

BannerFans.com