BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Belgium Army footwear  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
      • Dr. Davis
Belgium Army footwear
« on: June 05, 2016, 12:08:09 AM »
A pair of Belgium army "low quarters" very similar to the US Army officer low quarters of ww2.
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
      • Dr. Davis
Re: Belgium Army footwear
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 12:11:48 AM »
I can't remember if these are Belgium or Dutch "jump boots", similar to the US Army paratrooper boots.
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:30:10 AM »
Post WW2 both the Belgian and Dutch armies adopted a mish-mash of "allied" items...some surplussed and then licence-produced copies. Thus we've had Belgian "Brodie" style helmets... "M1" style helmets..."Denison" style smocks...web-gear items...boots and shoes of the type Pat shows here, etc., etc. These items are often close enough in general appearance to the originals and are usually inexpensive which makes them sought after by reenacters. Better to trash a Belgian "M1" rather than an original WW2 example!  Actually, Belgian helmets are often mistakenly (?) sold as "Original WW2 US Helmet" on a well known auction site so it's well worth acquainting oneself with the tell-tale signs. I actually posted a thread on this very subject over on the USMF several years ago. It's still there in the helmets archives somewhere, I believe?
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
      • Dr. Davis
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:26:26 AM »
Ian, thank you Sir for saying what I didn't say.  ;)
Mickey Mantle

BannerFans.com