BannerFans.com

Author Topic: British and Commonwealth Insignia for authentication  (Read 6330 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Re: British and Commonwealth Insignia for authentication
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 11:58:50 PM »
We were re-vamping the "wartime kitchen" display in our museum yesterday when I found an old small tin which rattled. When I removed the lid I found that it contained about twenty pieces of metal British regimental insignia...mostly cap badges...all evidently with some age! No-one seemed to know anything about them or where they had come from. So...I'm going to photograph them and will attempt to ID them all. I'll post the results here on the forum when I've done that.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline David

• Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2016, 12:23:11 AM »
G'day Scott, I can only comment on the air force badges, patches, etc. but nearly all of them I wouldn't buy as being definitely WW2 period.
Again I have to go with gut instinct and rate these as I would if I were intending to buy them.

-The RAF cap badge looks okay?
-The rank slides, New Zealand shoulder titles, VR (Volunteer Reserve) collar badges and especially the Eagle Squadron patch I would not buy.

If the Eagle Squadron patch was real, you would be in for a nice windfall! ;)
"Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****, playing cricket is not" Keith Ross Miller R.A.A.F., AM MBE

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 01:15:54 AM »
I bow to David's superior knowledge of the subject! As I said, I'm not a collector of British insignia. Now...if it was US it would be a different matter!  :D  That said, obviously desirable types of insignia have been reproduced over the years, especially wings...sometimes very well indeed...so one does have to proceed with caution I suppose? Just like with the insignia of any other nation there will be details and tell-tale signs which the educated will be able to identify.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Scarecrow

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 03:50:59 AM »
Hi Scott,

I can only comment on the RAF/RCAF items, I do not know enough about the other service areas insignia and badges.  The RAF/RCAF items, as Ian mentioned, all seem "right" with the possible exception of the Eagle Squadron SSI.  I have several original examples and this one appears "off" slightly, enough so that upon first glance I would question its originality.  Unfortunately only an "in hand" inspection could confirm.  But again, the rest all look great.

Paul

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »
   Thanks for all of the opinions guys! Scarecrow, I am inclined to think like you having the insignia in hand. Many of them show the right amount of age and patina and the previous owner (prior to the museum) was well out of collecting before the flood of good quality fakes came on the market. Still, one can never be 100% as here in Michigan we get a lot of "mixed bag" British insignia. Some good quality U.K or Canadian  made, some from souvenir shops in Canada, some from vets themselves and of course the repro stuff... Thanks again all! Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
Scott,

I don't know enough about British insignia but the cloth wings look very nice.

I wonder if the British Military had large excess amounts of insignia that was wartime produced and then sold off to surplus shops etc.

I am thinking on the lines of Bannerman's in upper New York.. They bought tons of excess era produced insignia for example (Spanish American War chevrons) that are still being sold today.. So I wonder if the person who bought these years ago actually did purchase war time produced overstock..

Again I have not knowledge as to what I am looking at for backing or stitch or other telltale signs of reproductions, so my thought was possible overstock..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ccfc

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
I have mixed feelings about these.

Brit RAF wings seems ok but never seen a bullion version like that.

Can't comment on other origins but think there's a mixed bag of post and pre 1945

Lee

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2016, 11:35:15 AM »
I agree with the previous comments about US / Eagle Squadron patches. There are numerous repros out there and have been for some time...to the extent where they themselves have some age!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
  Eagle Squadron, VR devices, and the New Zealand ssi are all sold pending payment. Thanks to all.  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »
  Eagle Squadron, VR devices, and the New Zealand ssi are all sold pending payment. Thanks to all.  Scott

These are all sold, thanks again! Scott.

BannerFans.com