BannerFans.com

Author Topic: 44 Para Brigade, 562 independent parachute sqn RCT (TA) (REME). DENISON SMOCK  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Tug1970

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
44 Para Brigade, 562 independent parachute squadron RCT (TA) (REME)

Hi,

This 59 pattern Denison has a distinctive almost desert like camouflage print, possibly designed with Middle Eastern operations in mind.

This particular smock was worn by a REME Major, part of the REME workshop attached to 562 independent parachute squadron RCT (TA).  The rank slides appear to be artisan produced possibly in India or the Middle East.

In 1956 the 16th Airborne Division (TA) was reduced to a single brigade group called the 44th Independent Parachute Brigade Group (TA).

562 Independent Parachute Squadron, RCT (Volunteers) was formed on 1 April 1967 as a successor unit to the old 562 Para Sqn RCT (TA).

The unit's role was to provide transport support to the Territorial Army's 44 Parachute Brigade (V). When this Brigade was disbanded in March 1978, 562 Parachute Squadron RCT (Volunteers) was redesignated 562 Squadron RCT (Volunteers) and taken under the command of 151 (Greater London) Transport Regiment RCT (Volunteers).

With the loss of the parachuting role and the coveted "Red Beret", significant numbers of the unit transferred to other TA units that still retained a parachute role.

Manufactured by Cookson & Clegg dated 1968.  You'll notice the Denison smock label has started to change now to 'Smock Camouflage' but interestingly is still '1959 Pattern'.  The 'Denison' reference has now completely disappeared and until the end of their production they were labelled simply 'Smock Camouflage'. 

I really do like this pattern Denison, it is the same print as the Col. H Jones VC smock featured in another of my threads.  I hope you enjoyed looking.

Brgds,
Tug  ;) 
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
That's a fine example of a not often encountered type Tug. Having its insignia still attached is a real bonus!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jerry BB

Probably my fave shade of denison camo.  Great to see an example with a known history Tug, thanks.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
  • Referrals: 1
Really nice.

Never tire of seeing the smocks
Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
These uniforms are just stunning..

I really enjoyed seeing some of the para smocks at the Pegasus Bridge museum in Normandy..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
  I used to have one of these as a kid of about 14 and I loved to wear it everywhere. I remember my Dad thinking I was a nut for wearing "that thing" as he called it. Although mine was quite beaten up and nowhere near as nice as this example.    Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tug1970

These uniforms are just stunning..

I really enjoyed seeing some of the para smocks at the Pegasus Bridge museum in Normandy..

Smitty
Haven't been over there since they moved the bridge to the new location, last time I saw Pegasus Bridge it was in the grounds of an old warehouse or something similar.  A lot of the items are on loan from Airborne Assault, will have to get back over there at some point. 

Sorry, I missed the responses...........haven't checked in for a while!  ::)

Tug
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline Jerry BB

A shame to see yet another thread with all it's pictures now gone, a fecking waste of space if you ask me.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline Tug1970

A shame to see yet another thread with all it's pictures now gone, a fecking waste of space if you ask me.
No idea whats happened, all the photographs have gone.   :-\

Spike Milligan

Offline Jerry BB

this sadly seems to have happened to all of your threads I recently looked at.

No idea why but a real shame
Regards,

Jerry BB.

BannerFans.com