BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Museum Chat  (Read 16766 times)

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Museum Chat
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 12:12:11 AM »
We use different methods, depending upon the artefacts / display. For example, in our glass cases, each item is numbered and a laminated A4 size "key card" is provided so that visitors can see that #1 is a Welsh Guards cap badge...#2 is a WW1 Victory Medal etc. Our "environmental displays" eg, the WW1 trench / bunker and wartime kitchen have no labels captions whatsover, because it's self-evident what they are and because it's our policy to always have volunteer / guide in attendance to explain to visitors what they're all about. With regard to mannequins, I've made some laminated cards which contain info about the uniform, insignia and equipment etc., which are suspended from a suitable protrusion, like a button or maybe a belt attachment.  Info boards are displayed at key points around the museum.

Ian
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Ghost

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
Thank you Ian and Scott!

Ian, I really like the idea of the laminated card on the uniform hope you don't mind that I borrow that idea! Thanks for the pictures that helps.

Scott, I have been doing the exact signage you described except I didn't have the foresight to add a picture. I'm going to keep that in mind when I make more signs. The way it is now all the other members of our organization are about 70 plus years old and have very limited computer skills so along with lifting heavy things this task has fallen to me but I'm up for the challenge.
I'll keep you posted with my progress and possibly a picture or two
Thanks again,
Chuck

Offline ScottG

• Referrals: 11
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 01:01:07 PM »
  Chuck, I feel your pain when it comes to doing the heavy lifting. My group is directly associated with the local historical society, so not only 70 years plus in age, but mostly women!  Scott.
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »
Hey Chuck...go ahead...no probs! Here's a display of original WW2 GI items I just set up in a case. The caption is a play on the old wartime saying "Over-paid, over-fed, over-sexed...and over here!"  Barry is the name of the coastal town where the museum is situated.

Ian
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Ghost

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
Thanks guys!! Really appreciate your help, now I have a new question, if you don't mind.
What is your approach to handling donations?
Do donors just drop items off at the front door no questions asked or do you record as much information from the donor as possible and have them sign legal type documents?
When I started with my group that was one of the first questions I had asked. The response I received was not what I expected at all, they are accepting donations with no questions asked possibly forgetting important details along the way. I am desperately trying to change that mentality I have been gently bringing up the idea of cataloging, assigning an accession numbering system and so forth, also receipts for tax purposes since we are a 501c tax deductible group.
So how do you guys handle this situation?

Thanks again,
Chuck

Offline ScottG

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 09:48:28 PM »
  Chuck, it is almost imperative for your group to adopt a deed of gift and a loan agreement. Both must be signed by a member of your group and the donor/lender. Without a signed deed of gift, you do not own the "donated" item and the family can come calling later... It can get ugly and at a minimum is problematic.
  A loan agreement is just that, it says an item is on loan. It also should state for how long, and that you are only responsible under the limits of your existing insurance should the item be lost, stolen, damaged, etc... Any further coverage should be taken out by the loaner. It should also define who is authorized to pick the item up at the end of the term. This ensures that a long lost great nephew 10 times removed doesn't show up claiming the item. I would get this done ASAP, the documents can be quite simple. Always provide a copy to the donor/loaner, and keep one for the museum records.
  Scott
Always looking for 32nd Division items and 13th Armored Division items. Please keep me in mind if you have any.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 11:11:38 PM »
Good question Chuck. We have a system whereby formatted sheets of our own devising are kept as a record of whatever donations we receive. The info contained thereon includes the donors name/ address and a brief description of the item(s) plus whether or not it's a donation or a loan. The donor is then asked to sign the form. We also endeavour to photograph the item(s) for our own records. Like most museums, at any one time a percentage of our artefacts are "in storage" as we don't have enough room to display everything. Occasionally, someone will come along expecting to see the item(s) they donated on display. If said item(s) are nowhere to be seen (which sometimes happens) then they are usually satisfied to know that they have been properly documented and placed in storage until such time as we can find a home for them.  We also get given a lot of military books...probably more than any other single item! We always smile sweetly and gratefully receive them, but there's not a lot we can do with them unless they happen to be of special interest, for example, a couple of weeks ago a guy brought in an original 1940s RAF Pilots' Flying Manual, which will go into our archives. The other books we tend so sell off on our open days and the money raised goes into our coffers.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Ghost

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 06:22:57 AM »
Thank you both for the very detailed answers to my questions. Now I know I need to bring these issues up at our next monthly meeting. From your answers it pretty important to do this now rather that later. it is rather amazing, once people learn about what you are doing, how much stuff comes out of the woodwork and gets donated to a museum.

Thanks again,
Cheers
Chuck

Offline Ghost

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
Thought I would share an article from the local news paper about the museum I have been involved with. Finally opened the doors after dealing with stupid amounts of city red tape.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20160801/military-museum-moves-into-its-new-home-on-daytonas-beach-street

Thanks again for all your help!
CB

Offline Ghost

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »
One more tidbit, we have a woman on the board of directors of the museum who is originally from Wales and she went home for three weeks and came back with enough real nice allied stuff to make a very nice display. When I remember my camera I will get a few pictures.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
One more tidbit, we have a woman on the board of directors of the museum who is originally from Wales and she went home for three weeks and came back with enough real nice allied stuff to make a very nice display. When I remember my camera I will get a few pictures.

Wales?! God's own country...but then again I'm biased!   ;)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline ScottG

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 08:42:36 PM »
Thought I would share an article from the local news paper about the museum I have been involved with. Finally opened the doors after dealing with stupid amounts of city red tape.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20160801/military-museum-moves-into-its-new-home-on-daytonas-beach-street

Thanks again for all your help!
CB

Great looking space and congratulations Chuck! Our group will be receiving our new building tomorrow or Friday and we plan to open for Veterans Day. I will share some pics shortly.   Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »
  Here are some pics of our building while still under construction. Pic 1 is the entrance, 2 is the lounge area, 3 is the large exhibit space. The place is now complete and I will add new pics of it this weekend before we begin assembling displays. There are 5 more rooms of exhibit space not shown here as well. Overall its just shy of 4000 sq feet.   Scott

Offline ScottG

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 08:39:42 PM »
  More of the 40' x 40' large display area and our upper level storage. It is windowless and about 450 square foot. it has separate climate control for the artifacts and as you can see, it sits above the large  display room.   Scott.

Offline ScottG

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
  Here is the unfinished exterior. It is now landscaped, with a lighted sign and of course a paved parking lot. We should take possession tomorrow!   Scott.

BannerFans.com