BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Reproduction Medals of Honor - Good enough for a museum display?  (Read 7869 times)

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Reproduction Medals of Honor - Good enough for a museum display?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
Thread has been cleaned up, and the other posts saved for discussion. Let's keep focused on the medals themselves. The other subject will be discussed, and a followup provided in another thread.
Thanks, all!

Gentlemen, my vision for this forum is build on "freedom of speech"! I want all members to have a chance to express themselves without a heavy boot on their throat, or threat of censorship.
With this being said, I also want to have some sort of single mindedness in our threads. We should stay on topic! I believe we can do this by offering an alternative thread, for topics that may be of interest to our members, that don't stay on topic in an original thread. NO JACK-BOOT DICTATORSHIP tactics here.

Comments??

Comment ?

Clearly, this is no longer the freedom forum. 

K

OK Kohima, please tell us why this possible solution doesn't work for you?
Well, to start, "cleaning up" threads by removing legitimate comments and opinions.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2016, 12:10:43 PM »
Thread has been cleaned up, and the other posts saved for discussion. Let's keep focused on the medals themselves. The other subject will be discussed, and a followup provided in another thread.
Thanks, all!

Gentlemen, my vision for this forum is build on "freedom of speech"! I want all members to have a chance to express themselves without a heavy boot on their throat, or threat of censorship.
With this being said, I also want to have some sort of single mindedness in our threads. We should stay on topic! I believe we can do this by offering an alternative thread, for topics that may be of interest to our members, that don't stay on topic in an original thread. NO JACK-BOOT DICTATORSHIP tactics here.

Comments??

Comment ?

Clearly, this is no longer the freedom forum. 

K

OK Kohima, please tell us why this possible solution doesn't work for you?
Well, to start, "cleaning up" threads by removing legitimate comments and opinions.

K

We have asked members to stay on topic, and they don't....what's the alternative?
THE ALLIED MILITARIA FORUM...... "The freedom forum"!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2016, 12:27:08 PM »
The solution ?

Don't bring extremely controversial topics to the forum that are known to always go nowhere and always cause problems and hard feelings.

God gave us a large brain and she expects us to use it !

KTB

On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2016, 03:06:33 PM »
If we restrict topics.....isn't that censorship??
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2016, 06:30:43 PM »
If we restrict topics.....isn't that censorship??

No, it's not censorship, it's common sense.  And common sense begins with the poster.

Think about the topic you post before you post it. What's going to happen if I post topic X ? 

There are plenty of topics that are probably inappropriate for this forum. That is not censorship.

K

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2016, 07:07:57 PM »
Are we ever going to reach a resolution?   ::)

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2016, 07:14:42 PM »
I should have mentioned that my comments are general are not directed toward any individual member here.
My intention is not to hurt anyone's feelings. I consider everyone here a good friend. As you know, old K is a bit opinionated.

The MOH is a passionate topic with me and like other people, greatly stirs emotions.

K

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
Why not start your own "Medal Of Honor" thread. Therein lies the ability for all to post any topic that a members wishes to comment on. If you would like the thread pinned, just let us know where you would like to place it.
If someone posts a MoH thread on its own, that may deal with another aspect of the Medal, it will stand alone unless it is a topic that falls under your thread. That will be a decision of the administration.
I really do believe Ed's thread is a stand alone.

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 08:22:46 PM »
Why not start your own "Medal Of Honor" thread. Therein lies the ability for all to post any topic that a members wishes to comment on. If you would like the thread pinned, just let us know where you would like to place it.
If someone posts a MoH thread on its own, that may deal with another aspect of the Medal, it will stand alone unless it is a topic that falls under your thread. That will be a decision of the administration.

I agree, same topic, two different aspects, two different issues, two different threads.

Thanks for letting an old man ramble on. (wink)  ( Smileys still not working. )

K

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 09:10:59 PM »

I agree, same topic, two different aspects, two different issues, two different threads.

Thanks for letting an old man ramble on. (wink)  ( Smileys still not working. )

K

Kohima, as one old man to another, this is a joy!  ;)

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 05:42:32 AM »
And I am pleased to see that a resolution has been reached.

I am 100% in favor of free speech and "censorship only as a last resort".

I saw K's new thread on the MOH, and posted my own thoughts / info in a reply.

I do appreciate keeping my thread separate, only because if really is solely about the quality of reproduction Medals of Honor for possible museum display.

Yes, there are plenty of "legal issues" associated with this topic, but right now I am only focusing on whether or not there are quality reproductions (museum quality for a display, and not to be confused with a reproduction that is being passed off as an original) available.

I think the answer is yes, but the Tiffany Cross needs some work.  Also, the light blue with white stars ribbons could use some help as well.

Interestingly enough, there was a really nice Tiffany Cross reproduction that floated around on a Canadian dealer's website a few years ago.  Nice details, good quality finish, even the ribbon and brooch were very nice.  Just one small problem, the medal was dated 1917-1919.  I have no idea where this came from, or why it was dated that way.  I also recall seeing a really poor reproduction (I think it was Chinese) that was dated 1917-1920.

Puzzling, to say the least.

I will see if I can round up my photos of these various reproductions.  I'll post them so y'all can see what I am talking about.

OK, on to other topics.

Offline m151mp

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
I will be in touch with our legal advisors (AKA) JAG and we are going to sit down and discuss what we as a Federal Museum can do to purchase these items. That is pretty much all the LEGAL Stuff you will hear from me...

I will keep everyone informed as to what happens and I will let you all know if we will be moving forward with the purchase.

The sole purpose for this purchase is to display the replica's in exhibits and show the MOH variations in each of the era's. I am only focusing on the Army MOH's. If we do get the grouping which includes Navy and Air Force versions, then we will place them in storage and possibly use them in future exhibits. These copies are very good and since they are replica's, once in our possession (Hopefully) we can "age" them if necessary, especially the T. Cross.

I have a specific storyline and mission at the NCO museum. I am charged with telling the history of the Non Commissioned Officer of the US Army from it's inception to present day regardless of the job, Infantry, Signal, Finance, Armor, etc.. The branch specific museums such as Infantry, Artillery, Quartermaster etc., tell the history of those branches, but here I tell the story of the NCO. We do not focus on the other branches of service even though those branches send some of their students to the Sergeants Major Academy. We are a US Army Museum, not the Sergeant's Major Museum. We have Civil War exhibits and talk about Christian Fleetwood, William Carney, Indian Scout SGT Alchesy, Corporal Alvin York, all Medal of Honor Recipients. We would like to show the public what A Civil War era MOH would have looked like and this is the reason I have decided to pursue this endeavor.

We have a wonderful exhibit with Alvin York. On his chest is the Distinguished Service Cross and the Croix de Guerre, but what we really want to show is a MOH, since the citation for the MOH is on exhibit.

I suspect that this will be a challenge to make happen, but there should be no reason why it cannot be accomplished.

Smitty

AND ONCE AGAIN FOLKS.. DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A LEGAL DISCUSSION ABOUT THE MOH.. OR I WILL BE FORCED AS A MODERATOR TO LOCK THE TOPIC. Keep the discussion on the quality of the medals...

Thank you

does your museum include in it's display anything about sgt penry, 199th light inf bde, vietnam?
retired glazier
us army vietnam veteran

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »
m151mp,

In reference to your question about Sgt Penry, currently we do not have info or a display about him. We have focused on SSG Clifford Sims. The street our museum is located on is named after this Soldier. MOH recipient with the 101st in Vietnam.

Thank you for your suggestion and I am open to updating and adding other Vietnam Era MOH recipients if they fall into the Non Commissioned Officer category..

Thank you..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
Non-Commissioned Officers = the backbone of the armed forces.

Not meaning to hijack your thread Smitty, just wanted to celebrate and honor the role of the NCO is the mission of serving our nation.

The day I made SGT E-5 was one of the proudest days of my life, and still is.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 04:22:55 PM »
Ed,

Thank you for your service as well as all other NCO's on here, past, present, future, and Allied...

The Backbone of any Army is it's Non Commissioned Officers..

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

BannerFans.com