BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Reproduction Medals of Honor - Good enough for a museum display?  (Read 7868 times)

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
I saw this photo on another forum today and it got me thinking about an idea that has been rattling around in my feeble brain.

How good are these reproduction Medals of Honor compared to originals?  Now I know that it is tough to compare a new reproduction to an original medal with "patina".
Having said that, what do you think about these medals as a display set to show the various types of Medals of Honor used throughout the years.
These are the reproductions that are produced / come out of Germany, not the Chinese versions.

So, using a grading scale of B(ad), A(cceptable), G(ood), or E(xcellent), rate each of the 9 medals in this photograph.  Feel free to add comments for any grade below G.

1 - Army neck ribbon version of MOH
2 - Air Force neck ribbon version of MOH
3 - Navy neck ribbon version of MOH
4 - Army Gillespie 1904 version of MOH
5 - Army 1862 version of MOH
6 - Navy 1862 version of MOH
7 - Navy Tiffany Cross (1917-1918) version of MOH
8 - Navy 1913 version of MOH
9 - Army 1896 version of MOH

OK, what do y'all think?

Ed

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Reproduction Medals of Honor - Good enough for a museum display?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »
I was in the process of negotiating a deal with this person to purchase the entire grouping for our museum.

They are, for our purposes exactly what we need and are looking for. We do not need original items and we want a good representation of the medals so we can show the changes through the years.

We had ordered one last year but it was lost in the mail (or so they say) and it was returned to the sender...

We are still trying to obtain this set..

From the pictures that I have seen I would be pleased to have them on exhibit at our museum.

Smitty
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 11:39:00 AM by Rakkasan187 »
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »
I will be interested to see a closer look at these replicas. From a distance they all look good, except the T. Cross for the reason already stated.

Please.....lets keep this about the medals, NOT the law.  ;)
THE ALLIED MILITARIA FORUM...... "The freedom forum"!
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 11:44:33 PM »
I'm no MoH expert but they look good to me. Here are some other examples which are easy to freely obtain here in Wales/UK.

http://www.epicmilitaria.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=medal+of+honor
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 01:55:36 AM »
I will be interested to see a closer look at these replicas. From a distance they all look good, except the T. Cross for the reason already stated.

Please.....lets keep this about the medals, NOT the law.  ;)

Thank you for both the analysis, and the reminder that this discussion is solely about the quality of the reproductions.

I have seen other Tiffany Cross reproductions of varying quality.  I am going to see if I can round up pictures of all of the TC repos that I can find.

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »
I will be in touch with our legal advisors (AKA) JAG and we are going to sit down and discuss what we as a Federal Museum can do to purchase these items. That is pretty much all the LEGAL Stuff you will hear from me...

I will keep everyone informed as to what happens and I will let you all know if we will be moving forward with the purchase.

The sole purpose for this purchase is to display the replica's in exhibits and show the MOH variations in each of the era's. I am only focusing on the Army MOH's. If we do get the grouping which includes Navy and Air Force versions, then we will place them in storage and possibly use them in future exhibits. These copies are very good and since they are replica's, once in our possession (Hopefully) we can "age" them if necessary, especially the T. Cross.

I have a specific storyline and mission at the NCO museum. I am charged with telling the history of the Non Commissioned Officer of the US Army from it's inception to present day regardless of the job, Infantry, Signal, Finance, Armor, etc.. The branch specific museums such as Infantry, Artillery, Quartermaster etc., tell the history of those branches, but here I tell the story of the NCO. We do not focus on the other branches of service even though those branches send some of their students to the Sergeants Major Academy. We are a US Army Museum, not the Sergeant's Major Museum. We have Civil War exhibits and talk about Christian Fleetwood, William Carney, Indian Scout SGT Alchesy, Corporal Alvin York, all Medal of Honor Recipients. We would like to show the public what A Civil War era MOH would have looked like and this is the reason I have decided to pursue this endeavor.

We have a wonderful exhibit with Alvin York. On his chest is the Distinguished Service Cross and the Croix de Guerre, but what we really want to show is a MOH, since the citation for the MOH is on exhibit.

I suspect that this will be a challenge to make happen, but there should be no reason why it cannot be accomplished.

Smitty

AND ONCE AGAIN FOLKS.. DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A LEGAL DISCUSSION ABOUT THE MOH.. OR I WILL BE FORCED AS A MODERATOR TO LOCK THE TOPIC. Keep the discussion on the quality of the medals...

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:01:36 AM by Rakkasan187 »

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline Dr. Davis

• PLANKOWNER
      • Dr. Davis
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 08:25:58 AM »
"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself."
Mickey Mantle

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:19 AM »
Here is a set of the medals minus the cases from a dealer in Australia (Quarterdeck Militaria)

http://www.quarterdeckmilitaria.com.au/product/usa-medal-of-honor-complete-set/

Offline Masonk

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
      • Military Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE)
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
Thread has been cleaned up, and the other posts saved for discussion. Let's keep focused on the medals themselves. The other subject will be discussed, and a followup provided in another thread.

Thanks, all!
Eric
ASMIC #5492

Militaria Collectors of Delaware Valley (PA/NJ/DE) - Facebook

Check me out on Instagram @philly_militaria_collector

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 02:01:09 PM »
Smitty;

Are you associated with the Army NCO Museum at Fort Bliss near El Paso?

I just donated all of my US Border Patrol Medal sets to the US Border Patrol Museum in El Paso, TX.

I worked with the Border Patrol from 206-2007.  Great bunch of people.

Ed McComas
US Army SGT E-5
1976-1980

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 02:41:08 PM »
Smitty;

Are you associated with the Army NCO Museum at Fort Bliss near El Paso?

I just donated all of my US Border Patrol Medal sets to the US Border Patrol Museum in El Paso, TX.

I worked with the Border Patrol from 206-2007.  Great bunch of people.

Ed McComas
US Army SGT E-5
1976-1980

Ed,

Yes I am the curator at the museum. I will stop by the Border Patrol Museum one of these days. It is right up the street on Transmoutain Road. Was there a few years back. Very impressive.

Thanks for your service as well...

Smitty

USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

VFW Member

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 06:10:17 PM »
Thread has been cleaned up, and the other posts saved for discussion. Let's keep focused on the medals themselves. The other subject will be discussed, and a followup provided in another thread.
Thanks, all!

Gentlemen, my vision for this forum is build on "freedom of speech"! I want all members to have a chance to express themselves without a heavy boot on their throat, or threat of censorship.
With this being said, I also want to have some sort of single mindedness in our threads. We should stay on topic! I believe we can do this by offering an alternative thread, for topics that may be of interest to our members, that don't stay on topic in an original thread. NO JACK-BOOT DICTATORSHIP tactics here.

Comments??
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.......FREEDOM FROM FEES.....FREEDOM FROM DONATIONS and SOLICITATION.

Offline emccomas

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
Thanks, all!

Gentlemen, my vision for this forum is build on "freedom of speech"! I want all members to have a chance to express themselves without a heavy boot on their throat, or threat of censorship.
With this being said, I also want to have some sort of single mindedness in our threads. We should stay on topic! I believe we can do this by offering an alternative thread, for topics that may be of interest to our members, that don't stay on topic in an original thread. NO JACK-BOOT DICTATORSHIP tactics here.

Comments??

Well put, and a very reasonable approach.  I applaud this approach, and look forward to many more constructive conversations.

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »
Thanks, all!

Comments??

Comment ?

Clearly, this is no longer the freedom forum. 

K
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:07:02 PM by Kohima »
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Fearless Leader

• ADMINISTRATOR
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 08:36:10 PM »
Thanks, all!

Comments??

Comment ?

Clearly, this is no longer the freedom forum. 

K

OK Kohima, please tell us why this possible solution doesn't work for you?

BannerFans.com