BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Latest! 4th Marine Division WIA Iwo Jima dog tag  (Read 1389 times)

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Latest! 4th Marine Division WIA Iwo Jima dog tag
« on: March 22, 2016, 05:39:10 AM »
I thought I'd show you fine folks my latest arrival. This is one of those "holy grail" items of mine as I've been after something like this for a while.

Mark Ronald Lee, 1st Joint Assault Signal Company, 4th Marine Division, served as a field lineman. He shows up in boot camp in April of 1944 and by February his unit was making the final preparations for the assault on Iwo Jima.

On February 21st, 3 days into the battle, Lee was wounded in the side by shell fragments and evacuated to a hospital ship offshore for surgery for what would have been 2 weeks before he was cleared to return to duty.

Lee was discharged after the war, but returned to the service and served with the 1st Marine Division in Korea.

Not only was I able to purchase his WWII issue dog tags, I also have his Korean War era set. He is fairly well documented online which made the research quite easy. Enjoy gents!

Offline Jack's son

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 2
Re: Latest! 4th Marine Division WIA Iwo Jima dog tag
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
Great find!  ;)
And once by God, I was a Marine!
—Actor Lee Marvin, circa, 1967, about serving in WW II

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »
Wow, historic tags !    Cool.

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 06:12:31 AM »
Thanks gents! I attempted to order his personnel file, but SSgt. Lee stayed in the Marine Corps until 1958, so the 62 years has not yet passed where one can order a file. I'll update you guys in 2019!  ;)
Phil

BannerFans.com