BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Early WWII British helmet MKI* with Camo paint  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Jerry BB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Early WWII British helmet MKI* with Camo paint
« on: March 10, 2016, 11:54:18 AM »
this one arrived today, lovely MKI* by Thomas Firth & Sons, marked FKS one of three marks they are known to have used in WWI.

As the British Government and Army high command realised that war might be on its way an order was issued to refurbish the stocks they had of helmets left over from WWI.  This involved in most cases in stripping them back to bare metal, repainting them and fitting new liners and chinstraps which involved the fitting of new chinstrap lugs.  Most were fitted with MKI or MKII chinstrap lugs and a very it seems had MKIII lugs as this one has.

It has textured green paint which has seen considerable wear and over the top of that has been applied a linear paint scheme to break up the shape, which seems to have been applied some time after the initial repaint took place.  It came with a duff liner and chinstrap which I swapped out for an original MKI liner and MKII chinstrap which is what it should have had and which I had as spares at home so now it looks as it should do.

MKI* at not commonly seen and I have been after one for a while so jumped at the chance to buy this one.

;D
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Early WWII British helmet MKI* with Camo paint
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 01:21:03 AM »
Another nice example Jerry. I collect US M1 helmets (amongst other things!) and like you, maintain a well-stocked spares box which is invaluable when it comes to replacing damaged or missing parts, sympathetically, just as you've done.
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Jerry BB

• Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 02:20:05 AM »
Another nice example Jerry. I collect US M1 helmets (amongst other things!) and like you, maintain a well-stocked spares box which is invaluable when it comes to replacing damaged or missing parts, sympathetically, just as you've done.

Thanks, as you noticed, I used all original period parts to replace a post war liner and chinstrap that had been added to it, as so many have had done to them as the original liners rot away and the chinstraps break.  I have examples of both which even in that state I am loath to throw away.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 02:23:52 AM »
Same here Jerry...I keep all of the damaged stuff anyway. It's sometimes possible to cannibalize it for usable  spares! Waste not, want not...as the saying goes!
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com