BannerFans.com

Author Topic: I Hate Verdigris !  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 1
I Hate Verdigris !
« on: February 27, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
Well guys, it appears we find two kinds of green verdigris on brass and copper militaria.

One type is waxy and easy to remove. Often found on leather knife sheaths and holsters, where the copper and leather meet.

The other type is pure corrosion on brass/copper and difficult to remove. I'm not sure this is actually verdigris.

What do you do to remove this stuff ?

KTB
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline M1Ashooter

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: I Hate Verdigris !
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:16:35 PM »
I might be doing it wrong but I use Hoppes #9 and a tooth brush

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »
There are a few methods that can be used, baking soda and distilled water is one method, just keep in mind that verdigris occurred due to moisture. If you are going to clean an item, remember too that you will be removing any type of plating that was on it before. Verdigris can also migrate, what I mean is this, if two medals are touching for example, one has verdigris and the other is clean, the one that is clean can become contaminated as the verdigris starts to spread. Any object that has the verdigris should be quarantined from the remainder of the collection and monitored more closely. You may read of other techniques such as vinegar, lemon juice, ketchup, these are all acidic and will remove the verdigris but again use caution because once the plating is removed it is gone for good. Sterling sliver for example should not be cleaned with vinegar as well as some gemstones. You can also use a soft bristle brush, toothpick and q tips to clean the verdigris from hard to reach places. Finally when drying the artifact off, do not rub dry as coarse fibers in the cloth can scratch the medal and now the medal is even more vulnerable with the removal of the plating or coating that was on pre-wash. Pat dry the medal and again make sure it is completely dry before storage.

Cleaning verdigris from leather goods such as pistol holsters, I can only advise using a q-tip or a very very soft bristle brush. The leather will scratch and if you use any type of chemical to remove the verdigris it may darken the area of leather. I have not tried baking soda and water method as of yet as I am hesitant to do so before speaking to professional preservationists in the field. I can and will consult them and post my findings.

Lastly, there is another type of degrading chemical reaction called Zinc Pest, and this is just as damaging as verdigris. I have been told that if you put some Vaseline on the Zinc pest and then rub off with a clean cloth that will help to prevent the spread of pest, but it will also darken the metal alloy, so I don't feel too comfortable putting petroleum products onto any medals. A very light coat is acceptable on edged weapons and the such but would not advise on any medals or wings, etc.

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline lewis505

• PLANKOWNER
  • "Aterrice y Ataque!"
      • 82d Airborne Division Museum - Fort Bragg, NC
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:20:44 AM »
Great intel Smitty - I know I'm going to be doing some cleaning of stuff in my collectionwhen I get back to Polk this summer & will definitely follow your guidance with this

Great idea for this category too!
CHRIS LEWIS
Fort Benning, GA.
lewis2505@yahoo.com

*always looking for items related to:
82d ABN DIV (any era) // 505th PIR // 551st PIB
50th Infantry Regiment // 36th Infantry Regiment

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:13:07 PM »
Re the "greasy" kind of verdigris which builds up around copper rivets, I use a wooden toothpick or cocktail stick to dig it out and then treat the affected area with a Q-tip lightly moistened with a little meths to clean up the residue. It might be a tad "unscientific" but it's always worked for me!
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:58:05 AM by Tom E. Gunn »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 03:37:45 AM »
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 07:22:01 AM »
Re the "greasy" kind of verdigris which builds up around copper rivets, I use a wooden toothpick or cocktail stick to dig it out and then treat the affected area with a Q-tip lightly moistened with a little meths to clean up the residue. It might be a tad "unscientific" but it's always worked for me!

An acceptable method used in museums today...

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline doyler

• AMF SCHOLAR
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
Has anyone used Rennasionce Wax on cleaned areas to seal or protect from further incidents with verdict is?
Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes
Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.....

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »
Has anyone used Rennasionce Wax on cleaned areas to seal or protect from further incidents with verdict is?

Predictive text?!  ;)
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Wedgehead30

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 10:08:18 AM »

I use Renaissance Wax quite frequently after cleaning metal. I've had nothing but good results. It's a great protectant and seals the metal. Just use it sparingly and don't get it onto the leather as it will darken it.

Just my results, I'm not an expert nor do I play one on the internet. Your mileage may vary... ;D

Scott

Offline Kohima

• PLANKOWNER
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
Thanks guys !

K
On the edge of a tennis court far, far from home, the Sgt. shouted: Son, pass me a grenade !  The Battle of Kohima. Naga Hills, 1944.

Valhalla I am coming !........Led Zeppelin

Offline Tom E. Gunn

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 10:47:29 AM »
BTW...with regard to predictive text...the guy who invented it recently passed away. His funfair will be held on monkey.
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com