BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Canadian Four Panel Medics Helmet  (Read 999 times)

Offline Mark K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Canadian Four Panel Medics Helmet
« on: February 02, 2016, 04:57:18 AM »
One of my morning rituals is to check new listings on E-bay and specific dealer sights every morning while I have my morning coffee before work and so a few months back while checking through E-bay low and behold I found this Mk II had just been listed for sale with a $50 GBP starting price with no bids it was listed as a WW II TYPE RAMC HELMET with no further description from the seller it was apparent by the images posted on E-Bay that the helmet body,chinstrap and liner were indeed that of a Canadian Mk II he had listed for sale .
I immediately sent of two e-mails one to a friend and fellow collector that has a fairly mint unissued four panel medic helmet in his private collection that I have been trying to talk him out of for some time now and one to the seller and asked him what he needed out of the deal he informed me of what his expectations were and so we struck up a deal and he pulled the listing from E-bay .
This particular Mk II struck a cord in me it was like a light bulb had been turned on as I thought it looked dam familiar and was possibly one of three helmets that is thought to have came out of a crate that was found in the US a number of years back .
Two of which were acquired by a friend and fellow collector and his companion I knew there was speculation the third helmet had found it's way into the market place It was not till much later in the day that my friend was was able to reply.
Mark,
If you can buy this helmet, DO IT! I know this one, where it came from and will explain in detail tomorrow. It is the brother to mine .
By this time the deal had already been done and I wrote him another email to inform him I had purchased this Mk II based on my own gut feelings as well as from the many detailed conversations and images he had sent me some time ago while discussing his four panel Mk II medics helmet the next morning he relayed how the helmets were found and by whom.
Hi Mark,
This is the missing third helmet that came out of the same lot as mine. The fellow who found them in a crate is an eccentric collector/dealer in Montana whom I've since become friends with.
In short, he found three helmet bodies mint in the crate, one sold on E-Bay (yours I suspect), I got one and my friend Terry got the third).
I know as a collector to never buy the story and that an item should be judged on it's own merits this particular Canadian Mk II was produced by C.L./C. and is dated to 1943 steel lot batch number 103 it is sporting a 1942 dated VMC liner in 6 3/4 and has a wartime era issued Canadian chinstrap that is nicely C-/l\ marked the white circlets do show definite yellowing age and discoloration with a few small nicks scratches and scuffs in the paint..
There are the light tell tale signs of helmet stacking on the one side wear it would appear another helmet had been sitting on it for some time by far this has been one of the hardest helmets I have ever tried to photograph do to the white in the circlets it is very hard to find a happy medium with no glare there are few known war time examples and they are widely faked.
The last picture is an interesting image has recently come to light that indeed supports the use of the Four Panel in the ETO this particular image was taken in Groningen,Verlengde Oosterstraat on Sunday April the 15 1945,Pte A Monette Gives a Groningen girl her first original Virginia cigarette that she has had in a long time.
It is thought that the Regiment was the Fusiliers Mont Royal, as there are more images that were taken on the same day and the same street of that Regiment.

Regards Mark K                 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:59:17 AM by Mark K »

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Canadian Four Panel Medics Helmet
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:32:13 AM »
That's one beautifully marked helmet!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Mark K

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:42:31 AM »
Thanks Tom I just about spewed coffee all over my computer key board the morning I seen it listed for sale it came from a mass collection that was being disposed of in Spain I am pleased to have it and have been on the hunt for an example for 25+years and is indeed my grail helmet and holds top place on my shelf the only way it would get any better would be to have an Example with vet provenance with direct ties to the ETO...
Such an example does exist in the PPCLI holdings in Calgary Alberta Canada..

Regards Mark 

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:38 AM »
Incredible looking lid..

Question for my Brothers across the pond....

Do you seem to have issues with helmets being "enhanced or modified" like we do with the M1 helmet??

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

Offline Mark K

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »
Oh yes one has to be dilagent in his search and really do there home work .
I am very picky about helmet selection and as far as I know have no known modified examples in my collection unless of course they are field and or army depot modified.
And upon pre-purchase and or purchase will post a helmet to be judged and examined by my peers.

Regards  Mark

Offline Rakkasan187

• GLOBAL MODERATOR
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »
Oh yes one has to be dilagent in his search and really do there home work .
I am very picky about helmet selection and as far as I know have no known modified examples in my collection unless of course they are field and or army depot modified.
And upon pre-purchase and or purchase will post a helmet to be judged and examined by my peers.

Regards  Mark

Thank you Mark...

It does pay to do research...

Smitty
"Pain is only weakness leaving the body"

"What you do in Life, echos in Eternity"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr (Smitty)
USA (ret) 1984-2005

EPFD 1997-2008

ASMIC Member

187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Association Member (RAKKASANS)

VFW Member

BannerFans.com