BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Operation Dragoon, British camouflage HSAT (Helmet Steel Airborne Troops)  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Tug1970

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Operation Dragoon, British camouflage HSAT (Helmet Steel Airborne Troops)

Hi.

This is another one of my favorite British Paratrooper camouflage HSAT.  The little recent history I do know about it is that it was originally part of Jean-Michel Selles collection in St. Mere-Eglise in Normandy and then ended up in America where I rescued it and had one of my militaria mules bring it to sea for me……..saves on postage and customs charges.  ;)

The story behind the helmet was that it was picked up from the DZ during Operation Dragoon in 1944 by an American Paratrooper who brought it back as a souvenir, obviously the story can never be substantiated but that aside it is still an absolutely amazing camouflage HSAT.

'Operation Dragoon was the Allied invasion of southern France on 15 August 1944, during World War II. The invasion was initiated via a parachute drop by the 1st Airborne Task Force, followed by an amphibious assault by elements of the United States Seventh Army, followed a day later by a force made up primarily of the French First Army.  The landing caused the German Army Group G to abandon southern France and to retreat under constant Allied attacks to the Vosges Mountains.  Despite being a large and complex military operation with a well-executed amphibious and airborne component, Operation Dragoon is not well known as it was overshadowed by the earlier and larger Operation Overlord, the invasion of Normandy (D-Day) two months earlier'.

The strange thing was as I said I bought this from the States but later on a friend of mine said he had seen the helmet for sale at Static Line in St. Mere-Eglise.  I phoned Jean-Michel and asked about the helmet and he told me he had indeed sold it to an American for a good deal of money, in fact he said it was a €5000+ helmet (I'll leave that up to your own judgement)!  :?   Strange that possibly a year or so later it was sold for around £1750, I thought it was a steal at that price to be completely honest.

The helmet has been painted with a sand mix, it looks great painted over the fibre rim and worn completely back in places.

The helmet has a great patina and almost certainly a combat worn helmet with wear and a few dings in it.

Manufactured by Briggs Motor Bodies (BMB) of Dagenham and dated 1942.

I would imagine this helmet was knocking around in a barn or an old loft for many years.  The sorbo rubber is quite delicate and the dome pad has started to separate from its fibrous padding, the front part of the sorbo lining has been lost most likely to a breakdown of the rubber.  The suspension cord is also missing from the helmet and has been replaced with someother type of material, I think this helmet continued to be worn for a good few years during WWII and no doubt some old sweat would not give it up!

The leather chin strap looks as though it has been oiled at some stage to try and prevent it from completely drying out, I have a few at home that are brittle as hell almost as hard as rare hide!

The aluminum helmet band doesn't appear to have been tampered with at all and retains a good shape, you often see some mangled helmet bands.

The camouflaged helmets are quite sought after especially the Fallschirmjager M38 and the British HSAT, I'm lucky enough to have this one........it might be slightly rough around the edges but its a real WWII camouflage para helmet.

I hope you enjoyed the photographs, thanks for looking.

Tug
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline Beau Brummel.

• AMF SCHOLAR
Re: Operation Dragoon, British camouflage HSAT (Helmet Steel Airborne Troops)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
Fantastic example Tug!

This Is one I would have loved to own, as you say genuine camouflage examples are like hens teeth. The sweatband may have had boot polish applied to keep It supple, mad as It sounds them old skool collectors did some krazy sheite back In the 60's and 70's  :-\.  May even have been done by the original owner when he saw the leather drying out.  We treasure these things but tend to forget It was just 'stuff' to the lads who brought It back.

I hope your militaria mule Is fully recovered, his bum must have been a bit sore after unpacking this  ???.

Yours, Guy.
Terra Terra this Is six, we are Inbound your pos at this time, I say again we are Inbound your pos at this time.  My schackle, lima, lima Zulu .........

Offline Helmhunter

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 02:25:42 AM »
Hi Tug,

I remember this one on Static Line site, a stunning paratrooper helmet.
Great catch.

Phil.

Offline Tug1970

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 03:35:45 AM »
Hi Tug,

I remember this one on Static Line site, a stunning paratrooper helmet.
Great catch.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Yes apparently it was. although at the time I wasn't aware of that as I'd purchased it from the States.  A friend told me he'd also seen the helmet before and rightly so it was on Static Line years ago.  I wrote to Jean-Michel and he said it had been in him personal collection for many years but as he head a similar one in better condition he'd sold it to an American.

Thanks for the interest.

Tug
Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

Spike Milligan

Offline Tug1970

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:38:12 AM »
Fantastic example Tug!  I hope your militaria mule Is fully recovered, his bum must have been a bit sore after unpacking this  ???.
Alright Guy, he was never the same after this..........said I made him do bad things to his special place!!  ;D

Tug

Spike Milligan

Offline Beau Brummel.

• AMF SCHOLAR
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:58:07 AM »
What his shed  ;D 

glad he's recovered and once again, great helmet mate!
Terra Terra this Is six, we are Inbound your pos at this time, I say again we are Inbound your pos at this time.  My schackle, lima, lima Zulu .........

Offline Tug1970

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 04:27:40 AM »
What his shed  ;D
Hahaha, actually I think Rocky has several special places.......he owns a ranch in New Mexico which is probably the size of Wales so he has plenty of sheds!!  ;D  Just a shame we can't get our hands on the weapons, his father was a Gunsmith and owned a shops so Rocky inherited ALL the vintage weapons etc.  Gave me an 'old knife' he thought I might be interested in..........a WWII 3rd patter Fairbairn Sykes dagger, sweet!

Tug

Spike Milligan

Offline Beau Brummel.

• AMF SCHOLAR
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 04:47:31 AM »
Marvelous!

The guns sound great but It's all those sheds that are giving me a twitch  :o

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:49:43 AM by Beau Brummel. »

Offline pat.lag

Hi,
if this can help here is the announcement of sale of the helmet of Static line during its sale.
Best Regards,
Patrick.

Offline pat.lag

In my collection I also have one that has the same camouflage, here are the pictures of mine.
Interesting thing the lace of the headdress has also been changed on mine!

Offline pat.lag

Offline pat.lag

Offline pat.lag

Offline pat.lag

Tug if you want I also have the pictures of the sale of your helmet of the site of Static Line.
Tell me if you want me to send them to you or post them on the forum?
Regards,
Patrick.

Offline Tug1970

Tug if you want I also have the pictures of the sale of your helmet of the site of Static Line.
Tell me if you want me to send them to you or post them on the forum?
Regards,
Patrick.
Thanks Patrick, I saw the photographs after Ollie told me it was on the Static Line site.  I spoke to Jean-Michel about it, came from his collection then went to the States.
Best regards,
Tug

Spike Milligan

BannerFans.com