BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Netted and scrimmed 1944 dated BMB HSAT  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Mark K

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Netted and scrimmed 1944 dated BMB HSAT
« on: January 09, 2016, 04:37:26 AM »
I had been searching for a nice example of a mid war produced Mk II HSAT for some time so when I came upon this example of a Mk II HSAT it stopped me in my tracks.
It is a wonderful all original example of a near mint HSAT that retains all most all of its original dark brown paint and textured finish the net has left a ghost of an impression on the exterior of the helmet body which is to be expected.
The liner was manufactured by BMB and is in a nice large size of 7 3/4 the crown pad is still present with the faint out line of chalk around it.
The sorbo rubber looks to still be very pliable and supple and IMO the harness looks to be spot on all and all a very nice original unmessed with helmet that has seen very little use .
This particular type of multi coloured burlap first appeared very late war and was used on the larger camo nets as seen used on mobile equipment and or gun emplacements .
Much of this type of burlap scrim was also used post war for many years until war time supplies were depleted .
The net itself is good and was mid to late war manufactured the scrim has been tied on and woven through this net for many years I feel that the net is all original to the helmet and that it was probably used for a very short period of time either very late war and or early post war alike when you take in to account the condition of the helmet and the net as the wear and patina are a near perfect match and look to have been married together for eons.
Hard to make out in the images but there is a chalk drawing on the dome pad and it is of a small cottage on a cliff shore over looking the ocean with birds aloft and a small boat out on the horizon perhaps it was drawn from boredom a soldier thinking about home or drawn by a child that has found a new medium to doodle on we may never really know.

Regards Mark

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:45:42 AM by Mark K »

Offline Mark K

Re: Netted and scrimmed 1944 dated BMB HSAT
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:49:19 AM »
Bare with me gents still trying to learn how to use the photo up-loader to load more than one image to a post.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:55:19 AM by Mark K »

Offline Jerry BB

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 11:59:24 AM »
Stunning example Mark, I always want a HSAT but I think they are now too expensive for me, unles I found one for the RWF battalion that converted to paras in WWII.
Regards,

Jerry BB.

Offline RoyA

• Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:38:50 PM »
That's a great example Mark, and in a very desirable size!

Offline Mark K

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »
Thanks Jerry and Roy it is one of four HSAT's that grace my shelves and yes Roy they are not often seen in these larger sizes here is a picture of the dome pad with the chalk drawing that I was referring to.

Regards Mark 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 07:05:04 PM by Mark K »

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 06:37:24 AM »
Nice one. Certainly has "the look"!
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline Mark K

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 04:33:29 AM »
Thanks Tom it came out of a collection of a friend in the UK and my only regret is that I did not purchase the Mk I Fiber Rim HSAT he had for sale as well as now I am having a hard time sourcing one that fits well into my collection that does not make me cry every time I open my wallet... :'(

Regards Mark

BannerFans.com