BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Very early dog tag to a Spanish American War veteran  (Read 1609 times)

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Very early dog tag to a Spanish American War veteran
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:35:58 AM »
I picked up this great early tag recently and thought I'd share it. Martin Ackerman served with the 202nd NY Infantry Band, the first US Regiment to land in Cuba in December 1898. By March 1899 the Regiment was relieved and began its return home.

Between 1900-1910, Ackerman served with the 3rd Infantry Band. As dog tags were made official military issue by 1907, this makes it a very early example of an official dog tag.

Interesting to note that on the reverse the tag was named to another serviceman, but was stamped out, I'd imagine for reissue to Ackerman. Also neat is that below Ackerman's name and above his unit designation is a faintly stamped line, and if you look close you can see it was stamped with 3s. Possibly a personal touch due to his 3rd Infantry service? Enjoy gents.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:36:59 AM by bellasilva »
Phil

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
Re: Very early dog tag to a Spanish American War veteran
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 01:33:15 AM »
Interesting. Looks quite a "heavy" piece...like a chunky coin. What kind of metal is it?
"He who dares, wins!"

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »
Thanks Ian, I thought so too when I purchased it and before receiving it but it's actually aluminum and quite light, like a normal US WW1 tag. The wear to the hole of the tag certainly gives it a thicker appearance
Phil

Offline Tom E. Gunn

• FORUM EXECUTIVE MANAGER
  • Referrals: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »
Really? I don't know why but I tend to think of aluminium ( * British spelling ) as being a "modern" metal...if that makes sense!?  ::)
"He who dares, wins!"

BannerFans.com