BannerFans.com

Author Topic: Vietnam-worn dog tag, recovered in Vietnam  (Read 1531 times)

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
Vietnam-worn dog tag, recovered in Vietnam
« on: August 17, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
This is one of my many favorites out of the collection, a true "Vietnam dog tag" so to speak.

This dog tag was purchased by someone I've been in contact with in a large dog tag group, all from 23rd "Americal" Infantry Division soldiers, in the 1980's from a European man who lived there at the time. The European man had purchased the tags from Vietnamese rice farmers who happened upon the tags some time after the war and sold them off.

After a bit of research, the original owner was able to be contacted. Mark Callahan served with Charlie Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Infantry Regiment, 11th Light Infantry Brigade as a rifleman/squad leader from May 1968 to May 1969. In late February 1969, he was on a recon patrol with 6 other men when they were ambushed by the VC, who lobbed a grenade into their position. Callahan suffered shrapnel wounds to the chest.

He was eventually awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart. After obtaining this tag and the research, I contacted Mr. Callahan who stated that he actually remembers losing this tag (one of a pair that he says he always wore around his neck, not in his boot like many other men) after taking a shower one day in Vietnam. He says that he requested and was issued another set after this.

Always nice having a true combat-worn dog tag with the provenance to go along with it. Included is an email sent to the man who purchased the tag from the European man who picked it up in Vietnam.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:23:15 PM by bellasilva »
Phil

Offline bellasilva

• PLANKOWNER
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Vietnam-worn dog tag, recovered in Vietnam
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 02:30:05 PM »
And just as a side note, many of you probably are aware that reproduction military items of all sorts are HIGHLY abundant in Vietnam. From Zippos to dog tags to uniforms and more, it's a tourist trap that leeches money from many unsuspecting pockets.

That being said, as a dog tag collector for roughly 17 years, the fakes can be easily spotted based on artificial aging, incorrect stamping, and some obviously bogus names. I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that this one is the real deal because A) real ones are still out there. With the millions Americans alone that served in Vietnam, there are still tags that will be lost forever and some that are recovered every day. This tag checks out with all the right signs of a real one. And B) the vet was able to be contacted, remembered losing his tags, and his service is confirmed online as well as on the emails he sent.

Just thought I'd throw that out there  :P
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:31:17 PM by bellasilva »
Phil

Offline tredhed2

• Referrals: 1
Re: Vietnam-worn dog tag, recovered in Vietnam
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
Any reason why his SS # can't be removed?

BannerFans.com